diy solar

diy solar

Breaker problem?

MrNatural22

?SW sunshine =⚡️⚡️lit up thru the darkness✌️
Hi all, I have 170amp breaker between the battery and inverter. While sitting nearby my board went off. The breaker showed it wasn’t tripped. Red light on the mt50 was lit. Indicating battery over voltage and the CC PV led was out. Checked panels and there was 60v coming in. LiFePo 12v Battery checked with meter was at 13.9v. I then manually tripped and reset the breaker.....nothing. The mt50 was dark. Plugged the panels in.....no PV led on CC. ?
Well when it doubt give it a rap. I tapped on the breaker and badda bing everything came on......... Not sure what took place there was no load on at the time. And battery was 100% @13.9v WTF????? Bad breaker?? Poltergeists?? LOL
Any opinions are welcome?
Here’s a pic of the breaker I’m using.
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep first thing I did was check all connections. All secure and good. It is an EBay $10 breaker so I’m thinking also therein lies the problem. Time to buy a good one so this isn’t a problem again.

Looks like the sort of breaker that is all over ebay. Wouldn't trust it to break an egg let alone 170amps. Buy a decent breaker. Just my opinion :)

Yeah, I bought one of those POS's for my car, it didn't survive the first actuation - broke the first time it was actuated.

That's Bussman for you, but you know it will work. Like a Bussman high rupture current fuse. That breaker is your safety net if something goes wrong.

Yeah those are a hit or miss. Every cheap chinese circuit breaker I have used worked perfect for years, but people seem to get bad ones often. Best to spend more money and get the best ones available.

Bussman makes the good ones

Marine supply stores have the best quality DC OCPD's

Wait, lifepo4 at 13.9v and your shunt monitor said 100%? (I assume this because I see the shunt).. so that can actually be correct. Lifepo4 voltage settles a lot during float. What is your float voltage?

Dont use the battery voltage as SOC indicator. Always use shunt. The voltage can fluctuate a lot..

Wait, lifepo4 at 13.9v and your shunt monitor said 100%? (I assume this because I see the shunt).. so that can actually be correct. Lifepo4 voltage settles a lot during float. What is your float voltage?

Dont use the battery voltage as SOC indicator. Always use shunt. The voltage can fluctuate a lot..

The float voltage is set to 13.6 volts. It does settle after the CC stops charging then the mt50 reads 0v out to the battery and from the panels. It stops at at 14.6v. The13.9v was read as the battery was slowly settling. Question, Can these EPever CCs via the mt50 Be set to stop charging at a lower voltage and not to 100%? As I have read in the forum it would increase the batteries cycle life if not topped off 100% each time.
I currently have the mt50 set to the BB recommendations for LiFePo from your video. I don’t have a BB, I’m using a 55ah from Energizedoutdoors. Waiting for the slow boat from China to deliver a Riuxu 100ah that you tested as very good. I’ll use the 55ah inside a minnkota power center box I have for portable power.

Last edited:
Yeah those are a hit or miss. Every cheap chinese circuit breaker I have used worked perfect for years, but people seem to get bad ones often. Best to spend more money and get the best ones available.

Bussman makes the good ones

Marine supply stores have the best quality DC OCPD's

The EBay seller is sending a replacement, so maybe I’ll get one that won’t fail this time. If it does then time for a bussman. $$ I’m searching other quality breakers that may be less expensive.

Pay close attention to the number of switch operations, if they even tell you about it. High current breakers that you can rely on to work aren't cheap in my experience.

Forget the labelmaker, when it comes to wire labels, this is what we use (or ones like it):

You print them up in you laser, so you would need access to one of those...

Shades of Sheldon Cooper....

Trust me. I have been that kind of crazy since WAY before Big Bang Theory.

I once wrote to them about Penny's apartment and they never answered. If you look at the building, you walk in the door, and 6 feet from the street is the stairway. But when you get to the 4th floor, her apartment is on the (screen) left side of those stairs, meaning it would have to be suspended out over Los Robles Ave.

Trust me. I have been that kind of crazy since WAY before Big Bang Theory.

I once wrote to them about Penny's apartment and they never answered. If you look at the building, you walk in the door, and 6 feet from the street is the stairway. But when you get to the 4th floor, her apartment is on the (screen) left side of those stairs, meaning it would have to be suspended out over Los Robles Ave.
Did you ever look closely at the light fixtures and scuff marks on the baseboard? They are exactly the same for every floor. The stairs go nowhere, they just change the elevator ribbon and stuff to make it look like it's different. Not theory, read that on the interwebs, so it must be true.

diy solar

diy solar
Back