diy solar

diy solar

[Resolved] System is down Sungoldpower 8K Hybrid inverter - Need urgent help

mvreddy48

Hi,

I have a Sungoldpower 8K 48V Hybrid inverter and around 20kwh battery pack.

From the last three days, the system was not generating any power. I thought may be the days have been very cloudy but today no power was getting generated in a bright sunny day either. My batteries are below 5% now.

This is what I have done so far to troubleshoot -

1. Checked the voltage at inverter which was good (around 140v). Checked the Amps at the panel with a clamp meter it was 0.5 Amp.
2. I disconnected the array and confine it to only 4 panels (which were getting direct sunlight). Checked the voltage at inverter which was good (around 160V). Checked the Amps at the panel with a clamp meter and it was 0.5 Amp.
3. I confined the issue to only 2 and then later to one panel. Same results as above voltage was good but very minimal amps.
4. I changed the 10 AWG wire from the panels to the inverter (thinking may be the wire is faulty). No luck there as well.
5. All the connections are tight. I even removed the PV breaker from the circuit to confirm if the breaker is bad. That did not work either.

Please provide your suggestions on what should be checked next. I have already reached out to Sungoldpower customer service as well.

Thank you for reply in advance!

Thanks,
MV

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Yes, this is the one.

Array is 2P4S, ground mount. Both arrays are combined with a splitter and then around 85 ft run goes from the panels to the inverter.

The are Hyundai 395W Bifacial 470W (see attached spec sheet).

Wire is 10 AWG.

Attachments

• IMG_2508.jpeg
    IMG_2508.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 7
Hi,

I have a Sungoldpower 8K 48V Hybrid inverter and around 20kwh battery pack.

From the last three days, the system was not generating any power. I thought may be the days have been very cloudy but today no power was getting generated in a bright sunny day either. My batteries are below 5% now.

This is what I have done so far to troubleshoot -

1. Checked the voltage at inverter which was good (around 140v). Checked the Amps at the panel with a clamp meter it was 0.5 Amp.
2. I disconnected the array and confine it to only 4 panels (which were getting direct sunlight). Checked the voltage at inverter which was good (around 160V). Checked the Amps at the panel with a clamp meter and it was 0.5 Amp.
3. I confined the issue to only 2 and then later to one panel. Same results as above voltage was good but very minimal amps.
4. I changed the 10 AWG wire from the panels to the inverter (thinking may be the wire is faulty). No luck there as well.
5. All the connections are tight. I even removed the PV breaker from the circuit to confirm if the breaker is bad. That did not work either.

Please provide your suggestions on what should be checked next. I have already reached out to Sungoldpower customer service as well.

Thank you for reply in advance!

Thanks,
MV
Was everything working fine before this started happening?
What are your settings for 01, 06, and 07?

2P4S for those panels should be giving you a higher voltage than 140vDC (or the 160vDC) readings at your AIO. Before load it should be about 4 x 48.6Voc =195.2vDC I would double check all connections to see if you have a bad MC4.

Was everything working fine before this started happening?
What are your settings for 01, 06, and 07?
Yes, everything has been working pretty good before that.

The settings are as below -
01 SbU (Solar power and batter first then Utility)
06 OSO (Only Solar charges the battery)
07 60 amp (Battery charging current)

2P4S for those panels should be giving you a higher voltage than 140vDC (or the 160vDC) readings at your AIO. Before load it should be about 4 x 48.6Voc =195.2vDC I would double check all connections to see if you have a bad MC4.
May be there is a voltage loss going on. I connected only one panel and I was getting around 43V at the inverter and same 0.5 amps. I did this with multiple single panels to make sure I’m not testing with a problem panel but no luck.

Try it open-circuit and see if you measure Voc of 50-ish volts on each panel. 4S should give you 200V, and 1/2 amp shouldn't be enough to load them down that much. Just to be clear, what clamp-on ammeter are you using, and what settings?

Yes, everything has been working pretty good before that.

The settings are as below -
01 SbU (Solar power and batter first then Utility)
06 OSO (Only Solar charges the battery)
07 60 amp (Battery charging current)
They won't cause any issues.

Did you try using a different MPPT on the inverter?

Try it open-circuit and see if you measure Voc of 50-ish volts on each panel. 4S should give you 200V, and 1/2 amp shouldn't be enough to load them down that much. Just to be clear, what clamp-on ammeter are you using, and what settings?
I’m getting 45.6 VOC from one panel. Hopefully you can see reading in the picture of the multimeter.

I’m getting 45.6 VOC from one panel. Hopefully you can see reading in the picture of the multimeter.

Attachments

• IMG_2509.jpeg
    IMG_2509.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 18
You have to connect enough panels in series to meet the minimum requirements for the mppt tracker, I don't know what it is for your particular inverter but it's usually north of 100 volts.

You have to connect enough panels in series to meet the minimum requirements for the mppt tracker, I don't know what it is for your particular inverter but it's usually north of 100 volts.
Thanks, I just put three panels in series that are getting Sun at this time of the day 6:50 pm EST.

VOC 115.4V
AoC 9.7 A

Attachments

• IMG_2513.jpeg
    IMG_2513.jpeg
    410.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2514.jpeg
    IMG_2514.jpeg
    404.6 KB · Views: 6
At Inverter I’m getting as below -

Voltage 135V (both while connected to the Inverter’s terminals as well as open circuit)
Current 16.9 (Open circuit only)

See attached pictures. This test confirms that all connections from the panels to all the way to the inverter are good.

Attachments

• IMG_2516.jpeg
    IMG_2516.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2518.jpeg
    IMG_2518.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2519.jpeg
    IMG_2519.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 2
It looks like it needs 150V from the panels to run, use at least 4 maybe all 8 as that is well under the limit it can handle.
Also check the error logs.

/*
<Not sure why this came out so huge, can't seem to edit it, sigh>
Maximum input power11,000 W
Maximum Input Current22/22 A
Maximum open circuit voltage500 Vdc
MPPT operating voltage range125 Vdc−425 Vdc

*/

Back