diy solar

diy solar

[Issue] Inverter Overload aka fault code 14 - Sungoldpower 8K 48V Hybrid

mvreddy48

Hi,

I have a Sungoldpower 8K 48V Hybrid inverter and around 20kwh battery pack.

This is the link of the inverter -

Today, the inverter shut off the ‘AC out’ and threw a fault code 14 (Overload inverter). At that time, the following items were running -
1. Space heater 1500W
2. Microwave 1600W <—Everything went out after Microwave ran for 5 seconds
3. TV with Speakers 400W
4. Misc items (couple of lights, router/idle load etc.) 500W

So altogether, the load was at around 4000W. The batteries at that time were around 55% SOC.

Can somebody please share their experience if they had such issue with this type of inverter (fault code 14 with this low of a load)? Is there any specific parameter that I need to check or tweak on the inverter?

BTW - I have been using the dryer everyday (during daytime) from the last couple of days for almost one hour (5000W) without any issue

Thank you for reading this issue and your valuable response.

Regards,
MV

Dryer is a 240V load so is balanced across both Hot legs. The other appliances mentioned are all 120V and were most likely all on the same leg.

Is it possible to move one of the breakers to the other bus bar in your panel. Either the microwave or the space heater circuit.

I have put the microwave on the different leg. So far so good. Will do another test tonight.
Thank you for your help.

If you purchase Solar Assistant you can see the load on each leg remotely.
You can also see the load on each leg from the inverter screen, I forget what display menu but I think it's the 3rd or 4th.

Thanks 42OhmsPA, I’m working on installing the Orange PI.

The issue that was initially reported (in the beginning of the thread) did not occur so changing the microwave to a different leg helped.

I did another test today and ran the dryer 5000W with Microwave 1600W with the idle load of around 200W (Router, etc.). It tripped the inverter and gave the fault code 14 for 6800W of total load 😟😟😟

I'm guessing you're dryer is closer to 6000W, 3000W per leg. Even if it's 2500W per leg the microwave would still put you over 4kW on one leg.
Here's my 10kW nearly maxed on 1 leg.

And it running the dryer and numerous other loads today.

Once you get SA running tap/click on the inverter icon to see details.
Screenshot_20240428-184024.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240428-183912.jpg
    Screenshot_20240428-183912.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 2
Alright, I installed the SolarAssistant yesterday. Fairly easy (took 1 hour from start to end). I was not sure which inverter type to select and that is the item took little longer.

Back to the fault code 14 issue -

When microwave is run today, the following was the load on each phase. Phase 2 has only microwave and Leg 2 of the Dryer.

1714755796324.png
This means with the dryer (5000W) running. It will be around 4356W (1856 W from the microwave + 2500 W one of the phase 2 leg) on phase 2 which exceeds 4000W limit per leg of the inverter, as explained by 42OhmsPA-

Anyway I can put a soft starter on the microwave so that initial rush voltage can be little subdued for the time being?

What could be another option to resolve this issue perhaps put a new similar AIO in parallel with the current one (this will increase the capacity by another 4KW per leg) or replace the existing one with 15K AIO?

BTW - My next phase of the project is to explore putting Central AC onto Solar.

Observation - I was looking at the product description of the inverter that I have. It says below (marked in red). So shouldn't the Dryer and Microwave be able to run at the same time (in my case) without the fault code 14; because the max peak power is 16000W?

1714758741108.png

Observation - I was looking at the product description of the inverter that I have. It says below (marked in red). So shouldn't the Dryer and Microwave be able to run at the same time (in my case) without the fault code 14; because the max peak power is 16000W?

View attachment 213128
Check the manual for how long it can handle an overload.
Are you absolutely certain the dryer is 5kW, not 6kW?
I accidentally overloading mine yesterday running the dryer, minisplit in dry mode and countertop convection oven (1500W). It was fine for at least 15 seconds, I do have the 10kW model.
Post in thread '4 MWh SRNE ASF48100U200-H 10kw.' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/4-mwh-srne-asf48100u200-h-10kw.67809/post-1081889

Check the manual for how long it can handle an overload.
Are you absolutely certain the dryer is 5kW, not 6kW?
I accidentally overloading mine yesterday running the dryer, minisplit in dry mode and countertop convection oven (1500W). It was fine for at least 15 seconds, I do have the 10kW model.
Post in thread '4 MWh SRNE ASF48100U200-H 10kw.' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/4-mwh-srne-asf48100u200-h-10kw.67809/post-1081889
Hi, Thanks for your response.

Yes, the dryer is 5KW here is the load power information (pulled from Solar assistant) as an evidence when I ran it yesterday. This number (under Load power) includes the regular load of 200-400W as well.

1714760047162.png

Hi, Thanks for your response.

Yes, the dryer is 5KW here is the load power information (pulled from Solar assistant) as an evidence when I ran it yesterday. This number (under Load power) includes the regular load of 200-400W as well.

View attachment 213131
Wow, I wish my dryer were the same.
Dryer and Microwave together trips the inverter in around 10-12 seconds.
That would be within the spec, correct?

Wow, I wish my dryer were the same.

That would be within the spec, correct?
True from spec perspective :-(

What could be another option to resolve this issue perhaps put a new similar AIO in parallel with the current one (this will increase the capacity by another 4KW per leg) or replace the existing one with 15K AIO?

True from spec perspective :-(

Did you buy the model that can be paralleled? If not you would have to replace the unit or add a new unit that feeds a separate panel. Leave the dryer and other light loads in on panel and put the microwave and other loads in a different panel on a new inverter / AIO

Did you buy the model that can be paralleled? If not you would have to replace the unit or add a new unit that feeds a separate panel. Leave the dryer and other light loads in on panel and put the microwave and other loads in a different panel on a new inverter / AIO
Yes, up to 6 units can be put in parallel.

Attachments

• IMG_2644.jpeg
    IMG_2644.jpeg
    689.8 KB · Views: 0
Back