diy solar

diy solar

Breaking in the EG4-3000

Jmhai3

I setup the new (cart) EG4-3k and Lifepower4 battery in USE (and 05 in utility) mode and everything else as recommended by EG4.
Waiting on panels.
One thing I did and did not think made a difference was the communication cable for the battery is connected but is not needed.
I still had it hooked up cause I planned to try LI4 after a while for later communication and testing.

Today I removed AC in power from the system for testing grid power loss and make sure it switched over to battery without issue.
  • It turned off/shutdown the EG4 unit instantly, no power/no screen.
  • Plug grid back into EG4 and it powered on but would not recognize the battery.
  • I shutoff the battery, EG4 unit, and turn back on battery, back on EG4. and running again.
I changed the EG4 unit to LI4 and it recognized the battery and information was correctly reporting on the EG4 screen.
  • Tried the same grid in disconnect test and it worked as it should, switched to battery.
  • Let it run a load for a couple hours and reapplied the grid in and it switch back to grid bypass and charging batteries as it should.

I currently have the unit in LI4 and Utility mode.

QUESTION:
Did the issue happen since in USE mode AND still having the battery communication cable connected ( between EG4 unit and battery) cause the unit to shut down when grid power was pulled.
Does having the communication cable connected make the unit think it should see a battery even if unit in USE mode?
If using USE, should there be no communication cable connected at all?

I have not seen/heard anything like this mentioned before.

Thanks for the help, James.

It seems this situation could be linked to differences in the Low DC cutoff voltage setting wile in user-defined and the State of Charge (SOC) settings while BMS communicating. These are separate configurations, and the shutdown of the inverter might be affected by how they are specifically set and the actual battery levels at that moment. Without knowledge of these settings and the battery status, certainty is challenging. However, based on my understanding, leaving the BMS cable plugged in shouldn't be a cause for this issue.

Thank you for the reply.
I had EG4 support when I set this up.
Colt was the employee that helped me from EG4.

I sent him an email and he will probably respond sooner or later.

The battery was fully charged at the time of the test, and shutdown instantly when I pulled the plug (no hesitation) as if the battery was not even there.
Low DC cut-off was set at 46volts per the tech.
I only tried once.
The second test while in LI4 mode had it function without issue and now I can see SOC too, so unless something happens that would require me to return to USE mode will just keep it as it is for now.

Follow up question, I'm using an Eco-Worthy Booster MPPT since I do not have the needed panels to deliver 150volts to the AIO to turn on the solar charging.
I have it directly connected to the battery.
Does it matter which mode I am in when it is sending charge to the battery?
Does it the AIO need to be in USE mode, or it does not matter?

Make sure to set the MPPT and EG4 3K to user-defined if both are charging the battery bank. Since they aren't communicating, it's best to charge based on voltage rather than percentage. Additionally, ensure the batteries aren't attempting to charge and discharge simultaneously to maintain the health of the cells.

Make sure to set the MPPT and EG4 3K to user-defined if both are charging the battery bank. Since they aren't communicating, it's best to charge based on voltage rather than percentage. Additionally, ensure the batteries aren't attempting to charge and discharge simultaneously to maintain the health of the cells.
Understood on the USE mode but does the AIO not use both solar and battery under heavy loads during the day when (IF I had the solar capacity to run straight to the AIO) set to SBU and SOL mode 01.

Is this different since all power input and output is going thru the AIO and it optimizes performance so not to degrade the health of the batteries?

I am going to try and pickup 4-6 panels this weekend to start designing a movable system.

Back