diy solar

diy solar

RS485 cable in USE mode on EG4-3k

Jmhai3

What I have read here most people have the EG4-3K in USE mode program 05 (even when using the lifepower4 battery) cause they wanted more flexibility and default issues sometimes.
  1. Do I need to have the RS485 cable connected at all when in USE mode?
  2. Who here is using the LI 4 setting (program 05), cable, and are happy with the setup?
  3. When in USE mode will it still follow the default settings in program #43, 44, and 45 or do I need to set them separately and if so which program modes is it that adjust it?
  4. Any other pointers or words of wisdom moving forward?

I have the RS485 communication cable connected by default but would want some feedback on the difference's others have seen between "USE" and the "LI 4" in program mode 05.
  • Who here is using the LI 4 setting (program 05), cable, and are you happy with the setup? Issues?
  • When in "USE" mode will it still follow the default settings in program #43, 44, and 45 or do I need to set them separately and if so, which program modes is it that adjust it?

Well, I asked several questions and didn't get a clear answer to all of them from SS support.

Am I able to adjust or set the 43, 44, and 45 modes when using USE and it will be followed? Right now, in USE mode my system is running on the grid full time (bypass/charging battery) and not cycling the battery following the 90/20 SOC process.

I don’t think they are available when USE is selected, just like some modes are not available to use when LI4 is selected and the reason some suggest using USE.

Did you see the question about the battery cable for firmware updates not looking like the picture on your site?

Thanks for responding. James. Sent this email back but no response yet. Can anyone here answer my questions?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
On Jan 17, 2024, at 9:43 AM, Trevor <tech@signaturesolar.com> wrote: This was the reply to the questions below...

Hello,

The use of RS485 cables is not required when in USE mode. The LI4 and USE settings aren't better or worse than the other but the LI4 option does require RS485 cables. AS for settings 43, 44, and 45, you will need to set them manually.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
On Wed, Jan 17, 2024, at 7:22 AM, Signature Solar <donotreply@bigcommerce.com> wrote: Sent this first to tech support...
Submitted the form from your Technical Support page
A user has submitted the contact form on your store.
Here are their details:
Full Name: James

I received the communication cable for the battery (Lifepower4) a couple days ago and it does not look like the one shown on the website. It is two piece, and one half is blue. Did they redesign or get another manufacturer to make them?

I have read most people will have the EG4-3K in USE mode on program 05 (even when using the lifepower4 battery) because they wanted more flexibility and default issues sometimes.
1. Do I need to have the RS485 cable connected at all when in USE mode?
2. Is using the LI 4 setting (program 05), cable, a better setup?
3. When in USE mode will it still follow the default settings in program #43, 44, and 45 or do I need to set them separately and if so, which program modes is it that adjust it?

Back