diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 charge amps in bms mode

Asymair95

What are people seeing for battery charge amps in their eg4 6500 inverters when in bms mode?

I have two inverters in parallel with 7 lifepower 4 batteries. I used to run a manual battery charging setting when I was having fault code 61 issues. In that setting I was running a 60a charging for each inverter. Now that the 61 code issue is resolved I would like to use the bms to control all of that, but the charges take a long time. The master inverter charges at 30a, and the slave inverter at 20a. Is there a way for me to increase the charge capacity, but still use the bms? Will doing that damage the batteries or shorten their life?

Thank you for your help.

What are people seeing for battery charge amps in their eg4 6500 inverters when in bms mode?

I have two inverters in parallel with 7 lifepower 4 batteries. I used to run a manual battery charging setting when I was having fault code 61 issues. In that setting I was running a 60a charging for each inverter. Now that the 61 code issue is resolved I would like to use the bms to control all of that, but the charges take a long time. The master inverter charges at 30a, and the slave inverter at 20a. Is there a way for me to increase the charge capacity, but still use the bms? Will doing that damage the batteries or shorten their life?

Thank you for your help.
The BMS is the one controlling those charging values. They override whatever's set on the inverter. They also don't update the settings on the inverter, so you really don't know what the values actually are at unless you're looking at the BMS software.

Is there a way to increase the charge rate, but still use the bms? It’s super slow. If I go back to manually setting rates again, what is a good charge amp setting? This is an off grid system, no a/c input to the inverters.

Is there a way to increase the charge rate, but still use the bms? It’s super slow. If I go back to manually setting rates again, what is a good charge amp setting? This is an off grid system, no a/c input to the inverters.
Not to my knowledge unless you can somehow modify the settings in the BMS. The BMS is doing what it thinks is best to prolong the battery life.

Bummer, I guess I will go back to manual settings then. This thing is just not charging very well. Can you confirm these parameters please? This is what I got from sig solar about a year ago, just wanted to make sure they are still good.

use on master use on slave
Menu 2 charge current 60a
Menu 26 bulk charging voltage 55.5v
Menu 27 float voltage 54v
Menu 29 cut off voltage 45v

I’ve seen other posts that have said 56.8v for bulk charging voltage, but wanted to ask before I went Leroy Jenkins.

Thanks again.

I have the 6500 with 6 Lifepower4 batteries in closed loop communication. I was able to get Watch Power working but I use Solar Assistant.

I have it set to SBU and the AC input is disconnected.

The battery will take whatever you can give it until it reaches 80% then charging slows down as it reaches 100%. If you do get enough sun, then the system will take care of itself.

I don't pay close attention, but when my 10kw solar array and the sun is cooperating, I have seen about 110A going to the battery. I think that is about the realistic max. On paper, the 6500 has max PV of 8000w and max 6000w from PV can go to the battery. This is about 120A (really about 113A if you assume 53v).

Keep in mind max 120A is about 20A per battery which is a low charge rate. You have two inverters so in theory max 240A or dive by 7 batteries is about 34A per battery.

I see that your probably are using split phase 240v. Can't remember the exact menu but I think it is 5 and 12 or 16. One is for the total combined charging amps say 120A from both solar and grid. The other is from the grid only.

I have mine set for 120A max combined for my battery bank and from grid only is 20A, but be very cautious. The 6500 seems to rely solely on grid or it doesn't. For me, I connected a 20A line and since the 6500 either runs from battery or from grid and not both, I have tripped my breaker. It would be charging at 20A (uses about 1000w) then if someone uses the microwave and hair dryer, the breaker blows since my little 20A 120v line for AC input into the 6500 is not enough to supply house load. Now, if I ever needed to charge the batteries like today, I would charge it at night when everyone is sleeping. I have 2 more days of clouds ahead of me and batteries are probably at 55%. I believe the BMS shuts down the system at 20% so I need to ensure it does not get that low while I am at work.

Hope that helps.

Bummer, I guess I will go back to manual settings then. This thing is just not charging very well. Can you confirm these parameters please? This is what I got from sig solar about a year ago, just wanted to make sure they are still good.

use on master use on slave
Menu 2 charge current 60a
Menu 26 bulk charging voltage 55.5v
Menu 27 float voltage 54v
Menu 29 cut off voltage 45v

I’ve seen other posts that have said 56.8v for bulk charging voltage, but wanted to ask before I went Leroy Jenkins.

Thanks again.
You’ll find everyone has different values for bulk and float.

55.5 seems low to me though. Your balancer in the battery would barely be able to turn on before it switched to float. I would do either 56 or 56.8. I know SS recently lowered their recommendation recently to help the packs balance more. I wana say at one point they were telling people to charge at 57.6 or 58v.

As far as charging amps, with 7 batteries, I would max it out at 120a. Even at full charge from each inverter you would only be putting in 35a per battery.

Back