diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 Slow Charging

jbkrntrprz

I have 2 EG4 6500 inverters and 6 EG4 Lifepower4 batteries. Setting #12 is10%. Setting #13 is 50%. When my batteries get down to 10% the inverters switches to bypass. Setting #16 is CSO. The problem is when in bypass and it is cloudy out my batteries is receiving very little charge from the sun. CSO states Solar will charge as first priority, utility will charge only if solar is not available. Well in this scenario there is solar but very little. As long as I have that small charge from the sun the utility will not kick in to start charging. My amps setting is plenty high enough in step #2 and #11. Is there a setting to get the utility to charge if there isn't much solar available. As it is the batteries will set all day barely charging! I can change #16 to SNU but I do not want to have utility and solar to always charge the batteries. I want solar to only do it when enough is available. Anyone have this issue?

I'm not completely sure. But I would expect that in SNU you should get the results you want. I don't think that it can charge from the grid unless in bypass mode. At which time, it will charge from both solar and grid. Once it switches from bypass back to battery. Only solar can charge the batteries.

I'm not completely sure. But I would expect that in SNU you should get the results you want. I don't think that it can charge from the grid unless in bypass mode. At which time, it will charge from both solar and grid. Once it switches from bypass back to battery. Only solar can charge the batteries.
I do not want it to charge solar and grid if I have plenty of solar. In SNU that would be the case. You are correct if it is in battery mode only solar would charge, but once it gets down to 10% it switches to bypass and if there isn't much solar the utility is not charging ( in CSO mode only ). Don't think that is the way it should function. If that is normal, then who wants to buy my inverters. Appreciate your comments.

I do not want it to charge solar and grid if I have plenty of solar. In SNU that would be the case. You are correct if it is in battery mode only solar would charge, but once it gets down to 10% it switches to bypass and if there isn't much solar the utility is not charging ( in CSO mode only ). Don't think that is the way it should function. If that is normal, then who wants to buy my inverters. Appreciate your comments.
I do believe that it is functioning as it should.

If you are willing to spend $500, I belive the new version of the Chargeverter has range settings. It could start charging at 10% and stop charging at 20%. BTW: what are you hoping to accomplish with grid charging? Time of use is a typical reason. Don't know if CV2 has TOU settings.

If you are willing to spend $500, I belive the new version of the Chargeverter has range settings. It could start charging at 10% and stop charging at 20%. BTW: what are you hoping to accomplish with grid charging? Time of use is a typical reason. Don't know if CV2 has TOU settings.
I only want to grid charge when there is not enough solar. With it not automatically charging from the grid when there is not enough solar would not make it reliable to charge my batteries while I am away. I can always switch off my solar panels manually and then the grid would start charging. Going to ask SS if this is normal. I also noticed when I am charging from solar and there is plenty of sun, my inverters start surging? Not bad but it is noticeable.

I have 2 EG4 6500 inverters and 6 EG4 Lifepower4 batteries. Setting #12 is10%. Setting #13 is 50%. When my batteries get down to 10% the inverters switches to bypass. Setting #16 is CSO. The problem is when in bypass and it is cloudy out my batteries is receiving very little charge from the sun. CSO states Solar will charge as first priority, utility will charge only if solar is not available. Well in this scenario there is solar but very little. As long as I have that small charge from the sun the utility will not kick in to start charging. My amps setting is plenty high enough in step #2 and #11. Is there a setting to get the utility to charge if there isn't much solar available. As it is the batteries will set all day barely charging! I can change #16 to SNU but I do not want to have utility and solar to always charge the batteries. I want solar to only do it when enough is available. Anyone have this issue?
Anytime there’s any solar, that’s what it will charge with first. The only time this inverter will charge from both solar and utility is if it’s in USB mode. Any other mode (SBU or SUB) it will always act as “solar first” when you allow utility charging (SNU or CSO).

Anytime there’s any solar, that’s what it will charge with first. The only time this inverter will charge from both solar and utility is if it’s in USB mode. Any other mode (SBU or SUB) it will always act as “solar first” when you allow utility charging (SNU or CSO).
I just noticed my inverters surging when charging from solar and lots of sun. Ever have yours do that?
I'll try USB mode and see if that is what I am looking for. Thanks for your input. I watch your Youtube videos.

I just noticed my inverters surging when charging from solar and lots of sun. Ever have yours do that?
I'll try USB mode and see if that is what I am looking for. Thanks for your input. I watch your Youtube videos.
When you say “surging” are you talking about when solar is ramping up like when the sun comes out from behind the clouds?

Glad the videos helped!

When you say “surging” are you talking about when solar is ramping up like when the sun comes out from behind the clouds?

Glad the videos helped!
No I know what is going on when that happens. This is the fans speeding up and slowing down when the skys are clear. Not very bad but noticeable. Like a sine wave sort of.

No I know what is going on when that happens. This is the fans speeding up and slowing down when the skys are clear. Not very bad but noticeable. Like a sine wave sort of.
Are your batteries near full when this happens? I’ve seen comments of voltage fluctuations when charging with pv and the batteries are near full. Also comments of flickering lights around the same time.

Not sure but will pay attention next time it happens. I have the lights flickering also. Have not narrowed that down yet.
Might be cheap LED bulbs but my fridge incandescent flickers when charging. Do you still have your 2 6500s and are they doing ok?
Also SS is refunding me for the Lifepower com hub. It kept locking up for no reason.

Not sure but will pay attention next time it happens. I have the lights flickering also. Have not narrowed that down yet.
Might be cheap LED bulbs but my fridge incandescent flickers when charging. Do you still have your 2 6500s and are they doing ok?
Also SS is refunding me for the Lifepower com hub. It kept locking up for no reason.
I was sent a Victron system to review last summer and that’s been running my home ever since. Night and day difference.

Back