diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 charging batteries from generator.

Solar DYI

A client of mine purchased two EG4 6500 inverters and asked me to install them. After I installed the inverters and programmed them for split-phase operation, one of the inverters gave an error code 32 and would not do anything else. After going through all the so-called testing and attempted firmware updates, Signature Solar finally allowed us to exchange the defective inverter.
We installed the new inverter and had Signature Solar guide us with the programming for split-phase operation, battery type, and charging profile. The client has about 3kW of solar divided between the two inverters for now but plans to add more PV when he has the money for a purchase.
If the batteries are not charged enough by the end of the day from PV, he wants to top off the batteries with his generator, 9kW, 120/240. When he runs the generator. the inverters will bypass the power from the generator to the loads, which is minimal, but not charge the batteries with the generator and remaining PV.
The manual states that these inverters will utilize PV and utility for charging. We have been in communication with Signature Solar about the issue but cannot come to a conclusion. I have spoken with several of their so-called techs and sent emails asking what part of the programming should be corrected and it seems that nobody has an answer. I don't think Signature Solar knows much about these 6500 inverters and their first go-to fix is always a firmware upgrade.
The current programming for both inverters are as follows;
#2 70A.
#3 APL
#5 EG4 with comm cable. We have four EG4 LiFePo4 batteries
#11 60A "not sure if this is AC amps or DC amps"
#12 SOC 10%
#13 SOC 30%
#16 SNU Solar energy and utility will charge the battery at the same time.

We have seen a warning # 10 { output power derating }. This will show up once in a while but I don't have a clue as to what it means. Evidently, neither do Signature Solar techs.

The last issue we had, the inverters accepted the generator charging only when we turned off the PV but it would slowly raise the amperage to the setpoint and charge the batteries for a short period then drop out the charging current to the batteries all at once and the generator, which was under a moderate load, would suddenly ramp up and send a surge to the house. NOT GOOD !!! He now has some appliances blown up from the surge.

Does ANYONE out there have a solution ??? It's pretty evident Signature Solar has none !!
These inverters are advertised to accept battery charging from utility and PV at the same time.

What is the #1 parameter? USB, SUB, SBU?
If it were my system, I would use a Chargeverter to charge the batteries directly. Added benefit is that it cleans up the power from the generator.

Also recommend the chargeverter.
For the reasons above. And because it allows you to get the most efficiency from your generator.

What is the #1 parameter? USB, SUB, SBU?
If it were my system, I would use a Chargeverter to charge the batteries directly. Added benefit is that it cleans up the power from the generator.
Setting for #1, both inverters is SUB
I've seen other threads talking about the Chargeverter but I don't see why you should have to purchase a separate item just to make the inverter do what it's supposed to do in the first place. If the inverter cannot perform as advertised, then the Chargeverter should be suggested as necessity for these inverters.

At this point you may have discovered a deficiency in these units in the way you want to use them and the way they will actually perform so your least expensive most simple way out of this is to buy a chargeinverter unit.
But to be fair to inverters in general, most of them hate the output from a generator because it is just not stable enough.

At this point you may have discovered a deficiency in these units in the way you want to use them and the way they will actually perform so your least expensive most simple way out of this is to buy a chargeinverter unit.
But to be fair to inverters in general, most of them hate the output from a generator because it is just not stable enough.
I starting to believe you are correct in the fact that I have found a deficiency in this inverter. I have installed Sol-Ark, Xantrex-Schneider, and even Growatt and Sigineer inverters for off-grid applications, and never had I had the problems this particular brand has given me.
The EG4 batteries are a great buy and they seem to perform very well, but as for the inverters, I will advise staying away from them until the manufacturer and/or Signature Solar has overcome the problems with them.
Until then, I am left with changing the programming until I can come up with a solution. Unless someone else has any ideas.

warning # 10 { output power derating } ... might it be having trouble with dirty power, or reducing output due to over temperature?

Last edited:
This thread should be helpful.

warning # 10 { output power derating } ... might it be having trouble with dirty power, or reducing output due to over temperature?
Your guess is as good as mine. That's why I posted the question to begin with. Nothing for an explanation in the manual.

The manual states that these inverters will utilize PV and utility for charging. We have been in communication with Signature Solar about the issue but cannot come to a conclusion.
Regardless of what the manual says, the 6500s will NOT charge from both AC In and solar at the same time, regardless of having all the settings programmed the way they should be (SUB and SNU). SS has been aware of this issue for months but nothing has been done about it.

Regardless of what the manual says, the 6500s will NOT charge from both AC In and solar at the same time, regardless of having all the settings programmed the way they should be (SUB and SNU). SS has been aware of this issue for months but nothing has been done about it.
So I actually just had an interesting conversation with Signature Solar and Voltronics regarding the “SNU” option. According to Voltronics, you have to have your inverter in USB mode for the inverter to charge with both utility and solar. I had someone test this out on their 6500 and it did work.

SS did tell me they’re gonna look at updating the manual with the proper info to avoid future confusion.

So I actually just had an interesting conversation with Signature Solar and Voltronics regarding the “SNU” option. According to Voltronics, you have to have your inverter in USB mode for the inverter to charge with both utility and solar. I had someone test this out on their 6500 and it did work.

SS did tell me they’re gonna look at updating the manual with the proper info to avoid future confusion.
Do you mean UPS mode and not USB mode?

FYI
I figured out the correct setting for utilizing the generator power AND the solar for battery charging.
Settings are done on both inverters. Inverters are set for 120/240 split phase, 180 out of phase.
Setting # 1 has to be set to USB
# 2 set to 20 Amps for the 9kW generator and solar
#11 set to 30 Amps

Now the inverter uses the input power from both generator AND solar for charging the batteries.

Back