diy solar

diy solar

Sungold power SP6548 not charging battery bank

MountainSteader

Hello there.

I have two Sungold Power SP6548 in parallel. They are configured correctly to be parallel. I have done all the wiring, and everything works well for output power.

Battery bank: 5 SOK 48V
Solar: Not connected yet
Utility: A new Firman 9200/7500 w generator connected as utility input through a double breaker in a small 70 amp panel serving both inverters as input.

I cannot get the inverter to charge my battery bank. There is no sign of charging on the display, although when I flip on the input breaker between generator and inverters it shows correctly as input ... voltage and hz....

I have tried setting program 01 to SBU as well as USB...but no difference. Charge light is not coming on, and display does not show it is charging.

Program 05 is set to USE and 26, 27 and 29 is set to recommended SOK battery values.

Anyone smart out there with some ideas or hints...?

Attachments

• IMG_20230726_171322.jpg
    IMG_20230726_171322.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 7
Can you wire your grid input to the actual grid rather than a generator to test with? Generators have notoriously bad outputs and it seems like a lot of inverters just ignore them because they can't sync up to them

Try putting a separate load on the generator and letting it run for a bit before trying to charge.
On the inverters reduce charging current to max 2A or 10A from utility and change to APL from UPS.

BTW - can it be that the hz is too high? It is like 63.5 or something...
It could be. That's why I think adding a load to the generator before trying to charge will help.
I have a similar inverter, TP6048, and had trouble the first time I tried charging from my generac 5500/6500, I turned a small heater on low (~750w) and was able to charge. I slowly increased the max charging amps and turned off the heater, once I had the generator loaded up the frequency got a lot better.

Oh and reduce charging amps in steps before disconnecting the generator. Yours is quite a bit bigger so you may be ok.

Try putting a separate load on the generator and letting it run for a bit before trying to charge.
On the inverters reduce charging current to max 2A or 10A from utility and change to APL from UPS.
I got it to charge using my older champion 9200/7200 similar power generator. I was able to set the charging current to be Max 20 amp using USB instead of SBU.
We are at 8700 00 FT elevation and the generators act a bit weird sometimes.
I am going to try to decrease the RPM on my new generator to get the Hertz down to see if that helps. I got it to work one time using my new generator but afterwards I was not able to anymore.

Does the Firman generator still work for other things plugged into it? Try something on both sets of 110 outlets and let me know.

Does the Firman generator still work for other things plugged into it? Try something on both sets of 110 outlets and let me know.
Hmmm...I have actually not had any load on it other than to the inverters. Will see if I can try this today and get back to you.

Yeah it's almost certainly running too fast without a load, so plug in a hair dryer or some such item and then see what the inverters make of it.

UPDATE: I turned the adjustment screw back a little bit so it is now producing 61.3-61.5 Hz. I tried turning on and off the 220v breaker between my generator and the inverter twice, and both times the inverters jumped into charge mode right away.

A difference, also, from yesterday is that yesterday this icon kept on blinking all the time on both inverters. Today, as soon as I turn on the 220v breaker to bring power to the inverter input wires this icon stops blinking right away on both inverters.
So...conclusion: The generator was running too fast...

1690475816233.png
Thank you all for different inputs!

Back