diy solar

diy solar

Sungold Power SP6548 not charging battery bank

Shoe

Good afternoon (and after a quick scan I was unable to find a forum topic about my specific help needed),
I have a 6 string combiner going into a Sungold Power SP6548 that is a 48V charger/inverter. From there into my battery bank.
Nothing has changed from yesterday besides rain we received this morning in central Texas but now the combiner nor the charger/inverter are receiving any solar input voltage. My current setup is solar to combiner to charger/inverter and the AC out goes into a separate subpanel that powers 4 mini splits only and DC out goes to my battery bank.

This morning and for the rest of the day, as stated, my charger/inverter is not getting, receiving, or “seeing” any voltage from the combiner. When I bypass the combiner with one string of panels to troubleshoot I am not getting any voltage input at the inverter. Multimeter for one string was at 223V and increasing as the sun got higher.

Lastly, combiner is only showing mV on input and output side. No circuits have been tripped or fuses blown at the combiner.

First question is does anyone have an idea on why I plug in one string of panels producing 223V plus at the multimeter not putting voltage to the charger/inverter when bypassing the combiner to troubleshoot?

Second question is why am I not seeing any voltage on the input or output side of the combiner?

Thank you all in advance for any and all help to a brand new user!!!

I would go through and check all your connections especially the MC4 by disconnecting and looking for moisture intrusion. Even getting a voltage reading does not ensure that a bad connection will pass current to your SCC. The fact this began after being wet (rain) tends to support a connections problem.

I would go through and check all your connections especially the MC4 by disconnecting and looking for moisture intrusion. Even getting a voltage reading does not ensure that a bad connection will pass current to your SCC. The fact this began after being wet (rain) tends to support a connections problem.
Thank you!! Makes sense but how in the heck can I still be seeing voltage?? Educate me, please, because I’m assuming that if there is voltage coming out at the string, why isn’t it going into the charger/inverter?
Thanks again!

Your meter can detect a voltage without much of any current flow. A load however on the connection drains the voltage down to nothing. A small point of contact can give a voltage without being able to pass current.

Edit: For an analogy using Air pressure from an air compressor. You have 100 psi at the compressor tank and you also read 100 psi at the end of your air hose with it not open to any loads. You open it up and the pressure drops to zero but the pressure at your tank is still 100 psi. This can happen because there is not a good connection (hose plugged almost completely) between tank and load. Once you shut off the hose the pressure at the end of the hose rises back to 100 psi.

Last edited:
Your meter can detect a voltage without much of any current flow. A load however on the connection drains the voltage down to nothing. A small point of contact can give a voltage without being able to pass current.

Edit: For an analogy using Air pressure from an air compressor. You have 100 psi at the compressor tank and you also read 100 psi at the end of your air hose with it not open to any loads. You open it up and the pressure drops to zero but the pressure at your tank is still 100 psi. This can happen because there is not a good connection (hose plugged almost completely) between tank and load. Once you shut off the hose the pressure at the end of the hose rises back to 100 psi.
Matt, sorry for the delay and thanks so much!! Great analogy and appreciate your time!

Back