diy solar

diy solar

Bringing old Microinverters into NEC 2020 compliance

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was planning on cutting the ends off and splicing on a standard connector when that time comes.
As soon as you do this you violate any listing that they ever had anyway. I feel your pain but unfortunately I just don't think you're going to make this work if you need permit paperwork.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was planning on cutting the ends off and splicing on a standard connector when that time comes.

Not an option if you are doing a permitted installation, the AC trunks are certified and listed solution and require the mating connector and device to maintain the listing ( what is needed for permit ), all manufactures have there own listed solution which includes limits per branch on how many of model XX can be used..

DC is sort of the way to go if you want more code compliant wiring flexibility and easier cross vendor parts interchangeability, but for all those small roof planes it's going to be a PITA for several reasons... Each plane will likely want it's own MPPT (optimizer works around this to an extent), and you need dedicated metal conduit run to each one if going in attic (optimizer does not help).

FWIW if you use multi port microinverters, you often will need jumper wires to reach solar panels since the microinverters have like 9" MC4 whips. What I've done with this is put the microinverters in a convenient side of the array for servicing. That way if the microinverters die I only need to move one panel, and i am not on the verge rly falling off the roof to do it. And the trunk cable can similarly be short if I have to replace with another brand.

I guess you can stick with 20A AC branch to maximize vendor compatibility. Nothing you can do about the nebulous listing issue with mixing inverters from different brands one string, but as long as you respect 80% rule IMO it's fine, and anyway on a repair you generally can skip by without permits or new PTO in the US.

That's of course assuming rules stay the same, if the API gateway for smart inverters becomes mandatory and POCO or grid operator is given access swapping becomes more obvious. But POCO big brother only exists in the aspirations of the standards and in PowerPoint decks

just found this thread, am in sorta similar situation, with regard to the Enphase trunk line. Looking for low cost connector suggestion in place of Enphase's. I did get a response from Enphase that the white Neutral line and home-run is not really necessary. Enphase is still has listing for the trunk line at $32-each

Just get the Enphase parts, its not worth trying to do anything else, just compare the price outdoor rated cable and you will see there is little to be saved with DYI cables

Yes, it is hard to engage with your question because it makes pretty little sense. The only customization that should be done on trunk cables is the transition into regular conduit run. There are some niche situations where you might use TC-ER cable in place of conduit to avoid laying as much conduit.

There are none and doing any DYI hacking won't save any money as you still need cable and connectors of some type that are water proof and anything you do that is not from Enphase won't meet code requirements.

You can shop around, look on eBay, they have sellers with used trunks ( I got a complete 12 M215 system for $400 a few years ago including all the wiring )

Back