diy solar

diy solar

Buck/Boost Converter over rated current

mberding

I'm building a tiny LiFePO4 battery bank with some 12v outlets, USB outlets, and a voltmeter. Basically an over-sized USB battery bank.

To charge the batteries, I found a nifty buck/boost converter that would take anything from 8v to 40v (dc) and convert it to 13.8v DC. This will almost fully charge my battery, and for my purposes, that's close enough. It's supposed to be limited to 10 amps going to the battery. That's a nice slow charge on my 100ah bank, so we're all good there.

I got everything assembled today, and started testing. And that's where the problems started.

Since the output of this buck/boost converter is 10amps (to the battery) and a variable voltage input, I figured it would work great for charging from other DC sources, like a car's cigarette lighter output. To that end, I purchased a 12v male cigarette to 12v male cigarette cable. After having it hooked up to RV charger I had laying around for a few minutes, the internal fuse burned up inside the cable. I was able to put an amp meter around the wire before it blew, and I saw it was pushing 17 amps. 17 amps?!? I thought this thing was supposed to be limited to 10?

I was using some less-than-stellar wiring for my socket-to-socket connection, so I upgraded the wiring and replaced the fuse. Tried it again. Once again, 17 amps, fuse blown, and this time it took one end of the 12v male plug with it.

Here's a link to the product that's over-performing and causing the issues: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WFMG11F

I figured that since it was limited to 10 amps, (138 watts maximum), then I could use standard 15-amp cigarette plugs, and it'd all work great. That's not happening.

Does anyone know why it's going well over its rated 10 amps? Any suggestions for a replacement product?

What I'd really like is something that can take a (12v-nominal) solar panel, or another battery, or a car's cig outlet as a source, convert it to something reasonable for LiFePO4, and not have any buttons/settings/adjustments that could get screwed up.

I've attached a photo or two of my little build to help show what I'm talking about.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1254.jpeg
    IMG_1254.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1257.jpeg
    IMG_1257.jpeg
    327.2 KB · Views: 11
17 amps in at a Lower voltage could be normal to get 10 amps out at the higher 13.8 volts.

Some of these do not fold voltage when overloaded like a battery charger. Some are made to power a device that uses less than 10 amps.

Scroll down on you link and look for the blue script below the RED NOTICE

"the converter output must be
greater than output connected device
required power"

In other words the device need to limit the current. Battery will not do that.

17 amps in at a Lower voltage could be normal to get 10 amps out at the higher 13.8 volts.

Some of these do not fold voltage when overloaded like a battery charger. Some are made to power a device that uses less than 10 amps.

Scroll down on you link and look for the blue script below the RED NOTICE

"the converter output must be
greater than output connected device
required power"

In other words the device need to limit the current. Battery will not do that.

I understand regarding the input voltage being lower resulting in the higher draw, but the input and output voltages were 13.4 and 13.8 respectively, so it was still operating well beyond spec.

I noticed the "converter output must be greater than output connected device required power", but I was seeing that on a few other items too. To me, that seems like it's bad-chinese-translation of "if this converter doesn't create enough power for your device, don't use it!". Yes, I agree that batteries can suck up a lot more power than 10 amps, but I was really hoping this device would be the golden ticket for me.

You need a DC-DC charger designed for this purpose.

Sigh… you're likely right. How does Jackery and others create a product where they have a single input and it can handle a variety of source types? That's what I'm trying to replicate.

On the DC-DC front, the cheapest I'm finding is the Renogy 20amp unit at around $110. I haven't found any others. Any ideas?

15 usd for 1-2A charging

setup instructions: https://robotzero.one/5a-mppt-charger-instructions/

full disclosure: have not tested this device. these reviews seem helpful.
1621853552694.png
1621850698490.png
seems good for 1-2A charging.

it has a rotating knob to adjust the output current mppt voltage and charge voltage i believe. maybe it won’t self limit current after all.

edit: be sure to look at victron dc dc converters. they go down to like 50 65usd. the isolated ones seem really nice. adjustable voltage and won’t burn itself up. won’t necessarily take as wide a voltage input though..

victron bluesolar/smartsolar 75/15 might be appropriate. smartsolar has bluetooth built in, bluesolar does not.

Last edited:
15 usd for 1-2A charging

setup instructions: https://robotzero.one/5a-mppt-charger-instructions/

full disclosure: have not tested this device. these reviews seem helpful.

seems good for 1-2A charging.

it has a rotating knob to adjust the output current mppt voltage and charge voltage i believe. maybe it won’t self limit current after all.

edit: be sure to look at victron dc dc converters. they go down to like 50usd. the isolated ones seem really nice. adjustable voltage and won’t burn itself up. won’t necessarily take as wide a voltage input though..

victron bluesolar/smartsolar 75/15 might be appropriate. smartsolar has bluetooth built in, bluesolar does not.

I'd be quite happy with a victron dc-dc for $50, where do you find those?

At the end of the rainbow, right next to the Unicorn ranch. Victron gear is high quality and it's going to cost you money. Your $50 budget isn't going to cut it.

curiouscarbon had suggested it was available for $50, so I was just inquiring as to where.

I have found a victron DC-DC on Amazon for $64.60 (close enough to $50) that I'm thinking about getting. Only trouble is it's too big for my current enclosure, so I'd have to go to a larger size enclosure, which I'm trying to not do.

how about this https://www.pololu.com/product/2573

only 2A, it’s a dumb voltage adjustable regulator

"typical output current of up to 2 A". Yeah, charging a 100ah battery is going to take 4+ days with that. I'm concerned that I'll burn it up, seeing as it's not a DC-DC charger.

I like the Victron 9amp DC-DC. It'll charge overnight, and I'm fine with that. Now I just have to give up my dream of staying within this tiny enclosure and moving to the next step up. And ripping out the 3M VHB tape I used to secure everything in the current case…

by the way, the victron DC/DC 9 amp converter does not have charge termination logic. basically always float.

could just set the voltage to be lower and have no charge termination, or just unplug.

if you would like to convert it into charger, and are not opposed to arduino DIY, the INA219 would allow measuring the pack voltage precisely. the arduino would read voltage of battery and then control the DC/DC converter remote pin. the arduino would control the charge termination. then after termination it’s disconnected until pack voltage goes below a threshold for example. i would be happy to write some snippets of arduino code if this option appeals to you. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/15176

like 65 usd for converter and ~20 usd for arduino parts

What level of Victron charger do you have to step up to for that functionality? It sounds like that 9 amp charger is oriented towards lead acid batteries.

by the way, the victron DC/DC 9 amp converter does not have charge termination logic. basically always float.

could just set the voltage to be lower and have no charge termination, or just unplug.

I was planning on setting it to 14.4 and then unplugging it. Most of the time it'll be charged via DC connections in my truck when driving or in my camper when the sun in shining. Stuff like that.

Thanks for the offer of the Arduino code, but I'm trying to apply more of KISS method here, hopefully keep it more durable and less prone to failure as well.

What level of Victron charger do you have to step up to for that functionality? It sounds like that 9 amp charger is oriented towards lead acid batteries.

i would think this is relatively close to that description

165 usd 18 amp : victron orion tr smart 12/12-18

tried to find smaller but most of victron dc dc chargers are >10 amp by a lot

Back