diy solar

diy solar

Building a 3D printed Battery Box - seeking advice

buckeyestargazer

I'm pretty new to DIY LiFePO4 battery builds and am looking for a little advice regarding an enclosure. I intend to 3D print a box for a 4S EVE LF230 12v battery (from Docan) with Daly BMS. The basic idea is to have a thick top and bottom frame with thinner side panels that basically just serve to enclose the battery.

First off, is this advisable in the first place?

Second, how important is it to clamp the cells together? If it is important, how tightly? Will a thick plastic frame on top and bottom suffice, or does it need to be stronger than that, i.e. 1/4" threaded rod and nuts in a wood or metal structure?

I intend to design the box so there is an air gap or insulated gap between the BMS and battery cells, and also some insulation around the cells. Also, I'll make sure the terminals are protected.

What else should I consider as I design the box?

I intend to 3D print a box for a 4S EVE LF230 12v battery (from Docan) with Daly BMS. The basic idea is to have a thick top and bottom frame with thinner side panels that basically just serve to enclose the battery.

First off, is this advisable in the first place?
Wow, how big is your 3D printer? Unless you're somehow able to print on an industrial scale, it would take a very long time to print a box both big and strong enough to hold the cells.
Most other people repurpose racks, tool boxes or heavy duty storage containers for this.

Wow, how big is your 3D printer? Unless you're somehow able to print on an industrial scale, it would take a very long time to print a box both big and strong enough to hold the cells.
Most other people repurpose racks, tool boxes or heavy duty storage containers for this.
It's only a 4S 230AH 12v battery. My build plate is 256mm x 256mm so I should be able to fit it in. And again, I'm only printing thicker frames for the top and bottom, not a whole large box. And I will likely use a carbon fiber filament for strength. Still, point taken. I just don't really like the hack it look of most of the DIY boxes I've seen. I can also customize as I want to.

It's only a 4S 230AH 12v battery. My build plate is 256mm x 256mm so I should be able to fit it in. And again, I'm only printing thicker frames for the top and bottom, not a whole large box. And I will likely use a carbon fiber filament for strength. Still, point taken. I just don't really like the hack it look of most of the DIY boxes I've seen. I can also customize as I want to.
Ok, I suppose it'd work, but don't underestimate the extra space you'll need for cabling, fuses, compression hardware (which is recommended, but not absolutely essential).
Some people find peace of mind in using boxes that are somewhat fire resistant too.

Back