diy solar

diy solar

Building a small off grid home, will be vacant for long periods.

Skid

Solar Enthusiast
I had a 48V 10KW system in a big house, now all gone for a simple life. I'm preparing to build a 200 sq ft house with a loft but will travel for sometimes 12 months at a time. For simplicity I thought of a Delta 2 Max to run a 1500w espresso machine for an hour a day, though the 1500w is for only a total of 6 minutes and total use is about 200w a day, 65kwh per year.. Other than that a mini fridge and a handful of LED lights is all I need. I don't completely trust the unit though and now having Amy at Shenzhen Luyuan custom build a 24V 105A battery. A cheap Giandel or similar 3000w pure sine I can switch on for coffee and a Victron 24/800 for the light loads 24/7.

My main concern is when traveling for a long time. I live in a remote area of Nicaragua and counting on someone to maintain the battery is not really feasible. Would it be better to have a small solar panel to maintain the battery through the active balance BMS, running a light load such as a fan to keep things cool, or let it sit with a maximum safe charge? How much does the battery level change per month, would I risk a full discharge when I am away for a year?

Last edited:
I would pick a lead-acid battey and let it charge with solar to 100% everyday.

Most good quality AGM/Gel batteries have a float life of 10-15yrs.

No chance of BMS disconnect. No concern of low temperature charging. Virtually zero maintenance with the use of a balancer.

First we need to discuss why you need an Espresso that wastes 1500 watts of valuable energy?

just kidding!

An AGM sealed battery with just a trickle charge solar panel like used to maintain car batteries will keep the battery charged.

I use a 10 watt and 20 watt solar battery maintainer to keep my truck batteries charged because they are not driven in winter except in an emergency.

First we need to discuss why you need an Espresso that wastes 1500 watts of valuable energy?

just kidding!

An AGM sealed battery with just a trickle charge solar panel like used to maintain car batteries will keep the battery charged.

I use a 10 watt and 20 watt solar battery maintainer to keep my truck batteries charged because they are not driven in winter except in an emergency.
Excellent idea. Thank you. I just placed an order with Amy at Shenzhen Luyuan for a custom battery with active balancing. I think I'll be set for life. (Yeah, I'm old...)

Back