diy solar

diy solar

Trying to build a 120v off grid system (8kw or better)

MidwestBest

Redneck Engineer
trying to build a 8-10kw 120v system for my off grid tiny house. currently have an eg4 3kw inverter. which is way to small. everything i have is 120v so no need for 240. figured 120 v system would save me the trouble of load balancing and all that. so far the best option iv found is the victron 10k. trying to be as efficient as possible and the price isnt a big factor but if i can get something of the same quality for cheaper or simpler that would be great. really like the idea of a LF inverter as i plan to use a small 120v welder time to time and an air compressor and possibly a well pump in the near future. are there any all in one LF inverters that are 120v that are decent quality?

I doubt you would find something of the same quality as Victron for cheaper in LF style output. However do you really need the LF or is it just because you hear great things about them? Many folks are using HF styles to do all that you are asking about and two 5kW units in parallel would give you the 10kW output.

I doubt you would find something of the same quality as Victron for cheaper in LF style output. However do you really need the LF or is it just because you hear great things about them? Many folks are using HF styles to do all that you are asking about and two 5kW units in parallel would give you the 10kW output.
i would prefer the LF for the high surge from ac motors that will be ran periodically and this system will likely need to last 20 years and the LF inverters seems to be much longer lasting.

is there a Hf AIO inverter that is 120v 5kw? none that seem to be reliable long term come to mind for me. iv had a lot of issues with eg4 inverters so far and they seem good but also seem to have lots of issues. this is my only source of power as i dont have utility power at my property so reliability is #1 for me

i would prefer the LF for the high surge from ac motors that will be ran periodically and this system will likely need to last 20 years and the LF inverters seems to be much longer lasting.
Looks like based on your requirements you will not find anything that can likely meet them other than Victron. I say that with not being a Victron fan. I do not own any Victron equipment so I will leave any questions about them to those more capable of answering them.

There are several HF inverters at 5kW 120vAC. Many are SRNE and relabeled. I just was looking at Sungolds version a moment ago. https://www.amazon.com/Inverter-Cha...16e3c71c9a&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m&th=1

Looks like based on your requirements you will not find anything that can likely meet them other than Victron. I say that with not being a Victron fan. I do not own any Victron equipment so I will leave any questions about them to those more capable of answering them.

There are several HF inverters at 5kW 120vAC. Many are SRNE and relabeled. I just was looking at Sungolds version a moment ago. https://www.amazon.com/Inverter-Charger-Battery-Manufactured-SunGoldPowerCo/dp/B0B7WD7HZZ/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=iGlXd&content-id=amzn1.sym.d0ebfbb2-6761-494f-8e2f-95743b37c35c:amzn1.symc.50e00d6c-ec8b-42ef-bb15-298531ab4497&pf_rd_p=d0ebfbb2-6761-494f-8e2f-95743b37c35c&pf_rd_r=W28E3BFBJE2AT312FQ44&pd_rd_wg=8bH3R&pd_rd_r=094e5b23-73e2-4500-9e14-3d16e3c71c9a&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m&th=1
are these reliable though? that seems like a crazy good deal... i cant seem to find the idle consumption on it though. if its to high that may be the only issue if its reliable

You don't have to load balance a split phase system. Not with a good inverter.

You can wire an XW as 120v only if you want to, and 6.8kW with surge capability is enough. Otherwise only Victron makes bigger single inverters.

are these reliable though? that seems like a crazy good deal... i cant seem to find the idle consumption on it though. if its to high that may be the only issue if its reliable
Going to Sungolds website* it shows about 50w idle with power save off. BTW I notice they have a lower price sale at the moment. As to relaibility I can not say since I do not own one.

*https://sungoldpower.com/collections/hybrid-solar-inverter/products/5000w-48v-solar-charger-inverter

Back