diy solar

diy solar

Planning new Solar backup system, what options for integrating Ioniq 5 V2L 120V backup input?

cryotek

Hi everyone,
First post here but have been watching Will's videos for the past 3 years and have been planning a hybrid solar system for the past couple of months. This is the last hurdle I'm stuck on and was hoping more knowledgable people here could help.

I have a rough plan to setup the following:
  • 3kW half-cell solar array (limited due to roof needing to be reshingled soon)
  • EG4 6000XP inverter
  • EG4 PowerPro wall mount 14.3kWh
My main question is I have a 2022 Ioniq 5 so want to be able to make use of the V2L capabilities, even if it's only able to output 120V here in the US. I did read about maybe have a sub panel for 120V which the Ioniq 5 could feed, and a second sub panel for 240V (Mainly running 1 AC unit with soft start, and furnace) which the EG4 would feed. Is there a better/simpler way that could mean I can have the Ioniq 5 charging the battery while it powers a single sub panel?

Any help is appreciated.

Separate dc line to directly charge battery with a chargeverter. Charge the I5 off the 240v line.
I'm looking to discharge the Ioniq 5 via V2L/V2H/etc, to use it as another power source for emergencies as part of the system. I didn't describe it well in my first post.

Can the V2L synch to the inverter? If not, Chargeverter to battery.
How can the inverter control how much power is taken from the V2L (generator input to the inverter)? If it can't, then Chargeverter to the battery.
How will the V2L repond if AC is pushed to it from the Inverter or Grid (will it return to charging the EV)? If badly, then Chargeverter to the battery.

Might be easier to plan on chargeverter to the battery than figuring out how to make it work safely with the inverter, and risk bricking a $40-$60k car.

Back