diy solar

diy solar

Grid hook up questions to two 6000 XPs

tombo06

Hi, I have been reading everything I can find about using EG4 6000 XPs. I need some advice on the grid hook up for a system I am building. I will have 2 EG4 6000 XPs and 2 PowerPro batteries. My solar array will be about 4kw at first. I am not a big power user. Mainly need to run 2 AC units (2 story house), EV charging (5 kw), fridge, microwave, etc. What I hope to be able to do is run the grid power into the 2 XPs and then run the inverter AC outputs into the main panel thru a manual transfer switch. I don’t want to have to put in a sub panel for the solar powered circuits and then spend time moving over circuits to fully utilize the power from solar. I want the grid to supplement any power the inverters can’t provide. I haven’t seen any documentation on this for the 6000 XPs, but I think this can be done (referencing diagram 4.3 from RG4 18 k PV). Is there some limit to what the inverters can pull from the grid? Thanks for any help.

That's right, with a transfer switch before the main panel, so I can drive the panel with the grid or the inverters. I don't want to install a sub panel. What I think I just learned from the forum was that if you need to draw > 50 A, 2 XPs can't supply that, so the power will all come from the grid and none from the batteries in that case. So I assume if the panel is drawing < 50 A that can all come from the solar and batteries. I don't see a spec that says what is the maximum draw that can pass through the inverters. IOW if the panel needs 100amps, will the XPs pass that ok? I was hoping that I could have the grid supplement the power needed beyond what 2 XPs could provide. But it doesn't look like that is possible. Thanks for any help.

The 6000 can passthrough 50 amps from the grid, or the inverter can supply 25 amps. This inverter can't do some from each. You need the 18KPV if you want supplement capabilities.

Thanks for the replies. I also talked to Signature Solar and they confirmed the same. For my application, the 18KPV is overkill, since I will never have more than 6kw in solar panels. So with two XPs I can supply up to 50 A, so if my panel needs to draw more, then it will come from the grid.

Thanks for the replies. I also talked to Signature Solar and they confirmed the same. For my application, the 18KPV is overkill, since I will never have more than 6kw in solar panels. So with two XPs I can supply up to 50 A, so if my panel needs to draw more, then it will come from the grid.
The issue is not just 6kw from solar panels, but how much power do you want for load (takes from batteries). Might also want to look at how much power it takes to run two 6000 vs one 19kpv.

Thanks DIYrich - due to the cost of the 18KPV I ordered two 6000's from Sig Solar. That will be easier for me to install too. I need to see what the stand by power is from those, but I don't think it is much.

Thanks DIYrich - due to the cost of the 18KPV I ordered two 6000's from Sig Solar. That will be easier for me to install too. I need to see what the stand by power is from those, but I don't think it is much.
If you exceed the 6000xp output...the inverter will switch to grid bypass. Once the load drops below 90/95% the inverter will switch back to battery/Solar.

Thanks Zapper77, that is exactly what I want. So I will have two XPs, so I guess I can assume each will pass 50 A from the grid and as long as my panel isn't drawing >100A, the inverters and batteries will be supplying power. If that is true then I will rarely pull from the grid, as long as I have sufficient battery + solar power.

Thanks Zapper77, that is exactly what I want. So I will have two XPs, so I guess I can assume each will pass 50 A from the grid and as long as my panel isn't drawing >100A, the inverters and batteries will be supplying power. If that is true then I will rarely pull from the grid, as long as I have sufficient battery + solar power.
Assuming two 6000xp in parallel

50 amps combined from inverter via battery.

100 amps combined in grid bypass, assuming you wire your system correctly.

Last edited:
How does paralleling work, both in implementation and in NEC terms?

Do you do:
  • 1/0 minimum size conductor on all branches

• Split
  • 2x 50A 2-pole MCB before input of 6000XP
  • 2x 50A 2-pole MCB after output of 6000XP
  • Combine
Which of these MCB can be omitted? (Presumable if there are OCPD inside the inverter in the right places

Back