diy solar

diy solar

Looking for advice on inverters

deevee8

I'm located in Ontario and planning to install a hybrid inverter, batteries and eventually solar. My current setup has a separate critical loads panel (240V 30A split phase) with a manual transfer switch and a generator input (L14-30). My average consumption from the critical loads panel is about 1.5 kWH with peaks up to 4.5 kWH. My average daily household consumption is 110 kWH (EVs, hot tub, pool, etc...).

Here are my primary objectives:

1. Keep it relatively simple. I don't need to power my whole house.

2. TOU hydro - peak rates are about $0.30 kWH and lows are $0.03. I'd like to run off battery for 2 kWH * 5 hours during peak rates and AC passthrough otherwise. The AC passthrough needs to support 240V 30A for the critical loads panel.

3. Backup power - I'd like immediate backup power. I have a well pump, sump, fridge and freezer, etc... As per above, the minimum would be for 5 hours, but I can load shed to reduce about 750 WH and extend the run time.

4. Leverage EV battery - I have an EV with a large battery that supports 120V 15A output. I'd like to plug the EV output into the inverter as an input and still maintain 240V output from the inverter. I know I could use a 2 kW DC charger to charge the batteries directly but I'd prefer to connect the EV directly to the inverter.

5. Backup generator - I have a 10 kW generator that I can run off of natural gas. It is not an inverter (again, I could use the DC charger with this). Alternatively, I may switch to a tri-fuel inverter generator.

6. PV - I plan to eventually add solar panels up to 8 kW.

I'm looking for advice on inverter options or suggestions.

I've been looking at the SNRE 10 kW inverter and the Luxpower LXP6K (equivalent to EG4 6000 XP I believe). I could parallel the LXP6K to provide 120V input to one of the inverters but I'd prefer a single inverter if such a system exists.

TIA!

3. Backup power - I'd like immediate backup power. I have a well pump, sump, fridge and freezer, etc... As per above, the minimum would be for 5 hours, but I can load shed to reduce about 750 WH and extend the run time.

Well pump may require an inverter with a very large surge capacity unless it's a relatively low power, shallow pump or something with a built-in soft start.

4. Leverage EV battery - I have an EV with a large battery that supports 120V 15A output. I'd like to plug the EV output into the inverter as an input and still maintain 240V output from the inverter. I know I could use a 2 kW DC charger to charge the batteries directly but I'd prefer to connect the EV directly to the inverter.

This is tricky. The inverter needs to accept 120V on only one leg, pass that through on that leg and inverter on the other leg. I can say with absolute certainty that this can be done with two Victron 120V units operating in parallel as 120/240V split phase.

5. Backup generator - I have a 10 kW generator that I can run off of natural gas. It is not an inverter (again, I could use the DC charger with this). Alternatively, I may switch to a tri-fuel inverter generator.

Voltronics type (older EG4, MPP solar, Growatt, etc.) inverter/chargers are intolerant of anything but clean grid or inverter generator power. Again, I can confirm that Victrons are very tolerate of dirty generator power, and they have additional settings that make them even more tolerant.

Voltronics type (older EG4, MPP solar, Growatt, etc.) inverter/chargers are intolerant of anything but clean grid or inverter generator power. Again, I can confirm that Victrons are very tolerate of dirty generator power, and they have additional settings that make them even more tolerant.
What do non-inverter generators normally produce?

Sol-Ark manual states: “A THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) of less than 15% is preferred.”

What do non-inverter generators normally produce?

It varies. I don't know what mine does, but I'm typically getting ±1V and ±2Hz (58-62Hz) based on VRM snapshots taken every 1 minute.

Google-fu says 9-10% is typical, but some generator manufacturers simply quote "less than 25%".

Inverter generators are 3-5%.

Sol-Ark manual states: “A THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) of less than 15% is preferred.”

I don't regard Sol-ark as voltronics-type. It's made by Deye and I would expect it to perform well with most decent generators.

I need to power up a 220 a/c unit.. Bonding the neutrals of my Multipus II's just doesn't sound right.. My system works very well for it's 120 set up providing for my off-grid . From what I've read, my take is just get a 220 inverter for powering the a/c . Instead of the transformer, balancing, monitoring, and the worrying.. Does the three inverter thang sound like the right solution ??? More experience than mine is much appreciated..

I need to power up a 220 a/c unit.. Bonding the neutrals of my Multipus II's just doesn't sound right.. My system works very well for it's 120 set up providing for my off-grid . From what I've read, my take is just get a 220 inverter for powering the a/c . Instead of the transformer, balancing, monitoring, and the worrying.. Does the three inverter thang sound like the right solution ??? More experience than mine is much appreciated..

If you have 2X MP-II, you configure them for 120/240V split phase output in VictronConnect with MK3-USB adapter or with the VE.Bus system configurator part of VEConfigure3 on Windows PC + MK3-USB adapter.

In that configuration, The neutrals are tied together. The L1 inverter provides 120VAC between L1 and N.The L2 inverter provies 120VAC between L2 and N. You will have 240V between L1 and L2.

I have my 2X Quattro 48/5kVA configured thusly, and it's consistent with Victron schematics for 120/240VAC split phase installations.

If balancing the L1-N and L2-N 120V legs is a concern, you could simply just get an autotransformer to step up to 240V.

If you have 2X MP-II, you configure them for 120/240V split phase output in VictronConnect with MK3-USB adapter or with the VE.Bus system configurator part of VEConfigure3 on Windows PC + MK3-USB adapter.

In that configuration, The neutrals are tied together. The L1 inverter provides 120VAC between L1 and N.The L2 inverter provies 120VAC between L2 and N. You will have 240V between L1 and L2.

I have my 2X Quattro 48/5kVA configured thusly, and it's consistent with Victron schematics for 120/240VAC split ph

I have my 2X Quattro 48/5kVA configured thusly, and it's consistent with Victron schematics for 120/240VAC split phase installations.

If balancing the L1-N and L2-N 120V legs is a concern, you could simply just get an autotransformer to step up to 240V.
Thank you for your time and explanation

If balancing the L1-N and L2-N 120V legs is a concern, you could simply just get an autotransformer to step up to 24

Back