diy solar

diy solar

Need some advice on inverters.

grebaba

Hi
I started with a small 12 volt system last year and have been playing with it now for 11 months.
It is a 800 watt system 12v with a Epever 60 amp controller on one string and a 40 amp Renogy on the other string.
I decided to upgrade this year and ordered 10 265w panels from Santan solar with a 100 amp Epever controller.
I was going to stay with 12v but am thinking of going to 24v or 48v.
I have a 12v 3000 w inverter now and if I up grade my voltage I will need a new inverter.
While I was looking to select a new inverter I went into brain overload. I would love to order a EG4 6000 but as I am 100% disabled my money is tight.What ever I do order needs to be reliable. I would like to stay at 3000w or higher as this is in my shop.
So after all this my question is what would be a inexpensive reliable inverter I could order until I am able to order the EG4 in a year or two.
And by the way I want to thank everyone who helped me with my questions last year.
Thanks
Greg

would like to stay at 3000w or higher as this is in my shop.
So after all this my question is what would be a inexpensive reliable inverter I could order until I am able to order the EG4 in a year or two
Do you need more than 3000W?
And what inverter currently?

3000W can do fine at 12V but that’s the hard ceiling of practicality imho.

If you need or want more output watts, there is a MPPSolar?5000W unit on watts247.com that has a good reputation and is surprisingly inexpensive. That’s what I would suggest.

Otherwise if your 3kW120VAC 12V inverter is a true/pure sine wave inverter it can still work. But the battery bank gets more complex with the big input you are planning.

Thank you for the reply.
I currently have the Renolgy 3000 w mppt pure sine wave inverter.
I would like in the future to be able to run my shop welders [one at a time] and equipment with solar but know I can't afford a system that will do that so I am just trying to build a system that will run my basic tools and use my generac or grid power to run my compressor and lift.
I did check out the MPP and watts 247 and will try to make a decision soon.
I am limited to the amount of panels I can install here because of tree cover but one of my 80 trees died and I was able to upgrade my panels this year because I now have more sun area.
again thanks
Greg

would like in the future to be able to run my shop welders [one at a time] and equipment with solar but know I can't afford a system that will do that so I am just trying to build a system that will run my basic tools and use my generac or grid power to run my compressor and lift.
I get that.

I’m currently running a 2000W inverter. It supports all my household needs, and 7+ months of the year I am way in excess of that.

However, I run a lot of things like a miter saw, sander, router, metalworking tools like grinders and drills, small compressor, portable tablesaw, etc. using that as well. A bit much for this time of the year…
I have done a bit of “light” welding with it and I don’t think it’s a good idea. Fun to try.
So I use the generator for welding, the big tablesaw, bigger compressor, or more continuous use of higher amp tools.

I am also 12V battery bank. 100% offgrid.

Anyways- I said all that for context to say this: while I may procure a 3000W psw inverter and perhaps add battery storage (4.8kWh right now), I am not going to try to sneak up on running the shop with my system. It takes care of “the house” fine and that’s what it’s for. What I WILL do is what I’m suggesting you consider: do an entirely separate system down the road to deal with the high load equipment in the shop. 48V, an AIO plus a couple standalone SCC’s, and big battery bank. Then I know my fridge, water, and furnace ’at home’ will not be vulnerable if I suck the batteries dry. If I ‘kill’ the shop I could run the generator, true, but often I can just knock off work and it will be back with sunlight charging and ready to roll. Actually, if I’m doing that much welding or tablesaw work im probably pulling in enough funds to not have the generator cost me anything or enough to be a worry.

Of course that’s a chunky expense to build a new system- but depending on your circumstances it may pay for itself by not having a powerco bill. In my case they wanted $3500 to connect me to the pole that’s already right here on the corner of my property and then it’s ~$30+ per month to not even use it; I’ve ‘saved’ $210 on that basis alone since buying and no $3500 up front!
$3500 buys a lot of value-priced solar products is the way I figure it along with a 10-year+ lifespan, conservatively. And I already owned the current equipment.

Just my frugal thoughts.

I know I will not be able to power my shop on solar alone. I was just playing with it out of curiosity when I started last year. However with my electric bill's going over $300 a month I am getting a little serious about lowering the cost some. Maybe 50 or a $100 a month and I would be satisfied.
I do auto restorations and have all the equipment for the job from changing a spark plug to full paint and body.
My compressor has a 10 horsepower motor and I don't see me being able to finance a system to use that and my other equipment.
I was thinking about ordering a EG4 6000 as that would give my 220 v output and I could run some of my bigger equipment in an emergency.
Well at least it is a fun project and gives me something to do in my spare time.
Greg

My compressor has a 10 horsepower motor
Holy cow! My ‘big’ speedaire 240V compressor is huge to me but it’s only 5HP/80gal. I have it set up so I can ‘plug in’ 100gal of extra storage if I want to.
What I run day to day is either a 3-gal craftsman (inverter will run it) or a 26-gal 120V harbor freight that wants the generator.

Back