diy solar

diy solar

6kw AIO's, value vs cost?

MPP used to sell a 4048 and 5048 that would have probably been fine, but seem to have been discontinued a long time ago.

Maybe I can talk @Will Prowse out of the 5048 he did a video with years ago. 😆

Last edited:
If I were to go with a component system, I'd be interested in the newer WZRELB smaller split phase units, but I'd be real interested to hear from people who have surge checked them. At half the price of a stand alone inverter adding in a 60a 48v SCC becomes more viable
If someone on the forum had one, and could tell you if that "claimed" x2 surge was more than a few milliseconds, it would help to confirm it could start your well pump. - if your pump was due for renewal you could get a Grundfos and cut the inverter requirements.

if your pump was due for renewal you could get a Grundfos and cut the inverter requirements.
It's on the To-Do list someday, along with dropping it another 100ft down the pipe, but not until I've got a LOT more infrastructure done. No point in pulling a working pump and replacing it if I don't have the system in place to feed it. Besides, for a 300ft deep pipe it's REALLY expensive.

Another factor in looking at a 6kw unit was if I drop a more powerful pump down the hole some day I don't want to have to replace the power system at the same time.

Last edited:
but doubles the standby of the 3kw
From what I've seen from threads on here, standby tends to be 1% on the modern AIO's. I.E. a 3kw is 30w idle, a 6kw is 60w idle, a 12kw is about 120w idle and so on. The real inefficies come in the LF versions where it's about double or triple the standby and only about 90%-ish efficient opposed to the 98%+ on the modern HF flavors.

At that point the question becomes more like "Do I feed 10% of everything for that extra surge a few times a day, or do I just have a larger HF than needed to compensate for the surge?"

Looking at my limitations and needs, the lower standby power really adds up. Even on a heavy day I might run that pump for an hour total all day, at best I'll get 2400w of panels in the deep woods where it might only get an hour or two of sun a day (topography is unforgiving), and having fairly limited space in the pump house, the low budget, etc.

The $1000 for a 6kw split phase inverter, $300ish for a 60a SCC, puts me right in that Luxpower. I'd still have to build a battery and the parts for that.

The cheapest option would be being able to use something like the 4kw WZRLB 24v unit, a couple 60a 24v MPPT's, and take one of the batteries from the cabin. That would put me around $900 or so but not sure about the ability of those smaller split units. I may buy one next summer and do a test run while I'm within the return window if the inverter can't handle the surge.

Last edited:
Off Grid, consider Growatt 5000 units. 240v output, needs an autotransformer to split to 240/120.
Ability to parallel up to (6) units for capacity scaling.
I currently run (2) units. Handles my 240v pump without issue.
MPPT up to 6000w, 450 MAX MPPT volt, IDLE consumption 45w.
S/S sells them for $750.
I plan to purchase additional units.

Adding the $350 Autotransformer accomplishes that, onto same 240/120 Circuit Panel. Some people have a misconception them.
Current Connected made a video about them here:

I remember that video! For a time the 5000ES was the only option out there for AIO's, and auto transformers couldn't be found for love or money. 😆
S/S still sells them. I purchased mined from eBay. I think people become intimidated by them.
For Off Grid I find them hard to beat (Price/Performance/DIY). I'll stop.
Just making sure you were aware of cost effective options.

Thinking about separate components, and ways to limit standby loads especially for winter in the PNW:
When you are away from the cabin, just the SCC needs to remain on, inverter is switched off?
any light loads connect directly to the DC side, even if that means a buck converter to get the correct voltage - ie for SA or monitoring equipment.
When you return you switch on the inverter to get AC power for well pump and stuff you only need while at the camp?
Depends on what needs to run while you are away, and what PV can provide on average.

I guess the AIO's generally do this, but the idle seems like too high a price in your case.

SRNE 10Kw might be the best fit for you.

The only problem is you can not parallel it yet.

I checked with SRNE, they had this to say:

Parallel 10KW will be come out soon, may next month

I told them once they have I want to test the capabilities of it and make a video so i'd order qty 2 units

Back