diy solar

diy solar

EV4 Off-Grid 6kW Inverter/Charger Review

CHTS73

Just upgraded to an EV4 Off-Grid 6kW Inverter/Charger and wanted to compare notes with other users.
This system has 4 each EG4-LL 48V batteries, a total of 4kW PV and a 48VDC 6kW LP back up generator.
Observations: When the AC load is sufficient to bring on cooling fans, only two of three of them spin up. Also, there is a musty odor being pushed out with air flow. One of the 3 fans has a different model number. These are 3 wire fans and not sure if 3rd lead is PWM or TACH. Just seems like all fans should flow in sync, otherwise air flow out of inverter will be short circuited.
AC Output seems to run site 120/240V loads with no complaints. Getting used to the web-access inverter summary. Planning to add 3 more 100AH EG4-LL batteries next year.

Last edited:
I imagine that one fan is either defective or disconnected. I've seen both problems posted about on here with other inverters right out of the box.

I placed a large load on the inverter and the top two fans kicked on to at least 50%. I used a small screwdriver to manually spin the bottom fan and it started up and ran what looked like 10-20%. At this point, I am wanting to just replace all the mis-matched $5 fans with quality ones from Digi-Key such such as PN: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/nmb-technologies-corporation/08025VE-12P-CUD-6/20686357. Will also provide a chance to see what all is making the musty smell when they blow air out.

I reported it to the mods so maybe they will see it and move it for you.

So how do I enable the items to appear below signature line?
Click your name at the top right.

Then click signature.

Fill out what you want as a signature and click save when done.

That's it. You will have a signature at that point.

A week ago, I connected my 6x385W series wired array to PV2. Thinking of future, I also included separae PV1+ but PV1- was derived from the common PV(-) from a new 300V PV disconnect panel. Turning on the PV2, the 6000XP went into fault/alarm with various codes.
After a call to SS, it was figured out that the common (-) on PV1 was shared with a MidNite Classic 200 MPPT controller which ties PV(-) to battery ground.
Today, I removed the PV1 input wires and the 6000XP came up normally, no more alarms.

On another topic, the two upper fans that worked so well for Inverter mode (I thought the 3rd fan was bad) turns out the 3nd fan is for the PV MPPT function.
Now to collect more production data and plan for re-wire of 12x200W array for interface to PV1 without any ground loops this time! Also, just ordered 3 more EG4 LL 48V 100AH batteries.

Does the third fan turn on if there's any solar input at all or only beyond a certain level of power? Any difference in noise?

When the inverter only runs, the top two fans are active and the lowest fan appears to want to run, and if you flick blades with a small object, you might see it slowly turn. Unable to throttle the amount of PV to make level of power determinations. Maybe Will would check that out?

When the MPPT charger is put in service, the lower fan has no probem spinning up. I am thinking there must be some interacton on the white PWM leads of the 3 fans if that is how they are controlling speed. Yes, it can get rather noisy with all those running but in my situaiton there are no occupants to complain. I do not have enough load test items on site to determine how fast the fans can turn. I do have a Senville 12,000 btu mini-split as 240V load but can round up some 120V space heaters. The mini-split indoor fan runs continously and draws 40W, when the compressor and outdoor fan spin up, it can draw 400 to 1200 watts. This is the type of mini-split IDU you mount in a 8x24 inch duct, not hang on a wall. Thinking about installing a second identical unit as back up with a lead-lag control system. These Mini-Split units are "smart" in that they power up with last used setting.

I also need to determine if a 6kXP firmware update is available or needed.

Back