diy solar

diy solar

6kw AIO's, value vs cost?

Rednecktek

Solar Wizard
So I'm starting to pre-plan my next major solar setup to replace the 6500w generator at camp. The only reason I have such a large generator is the 300ft deep well pump running on 3-wire 240v system.

Looking at 6kw 240v AIO's it seems like there are 2 choices that stick out at me:

MPP LVX6048 - $900
240v split phase, 6kw, supports more solar than I could physically fit in the woods, needs 120v DC to start charging.

EG4 6000XP - $1500
240v split phase, 6kw, supports more solar than I could physically fit in the woods, needs 100v to start charging.

The startup surge (I write it down every time I go up there, and then promptly leave the note in the pump house :fp2) would prefer a LF version but I never hear it really bog down the generator for more than an instant so I thinkI can go HF if it's a decent quality.

Problem being of course is budget. I'm starting life over after a messy divorce so not a lot of money to play with each time I go up there. Because of this the extra $600 for the EG4 unit goes a long way towards the battery build I'm going to have to make for this project. Yes, my camp is a Victron-Free zone, so don't bother.

No inspection happening so UL and NEC not required. No back feeding either.

So I guess my questions are:

1:Is the EG4 worth the extra $600? Why?

2: Are there other units I should look at? Again, no $$$Victron$$ equipment, not that they make a viable AIO anyways.

3: What's the opinion of the vertical 280/304a 16s battery boxes with 150a BMS's? Should I just break out the welder and hit the steel store? Does anyone besides Daly even have a 16s BMS with 150a and low temp protection?

Thanks all! Yes, I plan projects early. 😁

Last edited:
Do both of those AIO units keep PV charging active while inverter is off? That would be my deciding factor for a camp setup.

And the MPP 6048 for $825 from Maximum Solar Dot online. plus shipping.
Standby is lower than the MPP 6048LVX
it can be set up to output 120 and 240 or 120 only with a single inverter.
I can confirm one single unit started and ran my own deep well pump (with 200Ah battery connected)
down-sides: 145v PV limit, doen't have all the features newer models have for grid interaction.
-higher standby current than a single MPP6548 *250v PV version. (if you only need 120 volt I would look for one of these, the older version with 250vPV limit)
Yes, the MPP 6048 will charge PV even while the inverter is switched to "off" as long as it is connected to battery.

There have been a number of newer 6kW models, but I don't know enough about them to comment. Seems mostly these newer models are going for more features,grid interaction etc not lower price.

Ck the forum for-sale section?

6048 charge controllers 115v Max, vs 450v iirc for 6000xp. A combiner box and wire could eat up all your savings if your panels are more than a few feet from the inverter.

Also you're trying to save money but looking at a $500 battery box? ??

Growatt 6000T is also a contender at the right price, there is a 250v mppt version.
I seriously question the quality of the voltronics inverters built in the past couple of years, I would try to avoid if you can.

The 135W idle consumption on the LVX-6048 sucks, but it handled my well pump and air compressor ok. The high VOC and amperage MPPT is nice.
I overloaded it a few times, it restarts automatically.

The Lux 6kW is nice but I don't think you need all the fancy features for an off grid setup. If you do go that route order from Current Connected...

I'd also look at the SRNE ASF, a few hundred cheaper than the Lux after shipping. 10kW output (5kW / leg) , two 22A 500V mppts. Would handle any future expansion. (they also have an 8kW but it's not much cheaper and I don't know of any in use).
I have 2.75MWh solar through mine with 1 random com fault that hasn't been back, the fault didn't cause a shutdown. (I'd be over 3MWh if I didn't buy that stupid Victron 100/20 😉).

The 135W idle consumption on the LVX-6048 sucks

Holy cow, yeah it does!!!
Id be looking for something else for an off grid camp. Perhaps an AIO unit just doesn't fit the profile with that kind of consumption.

A decent LF inverter/charger is around 55 watts idle consumption. Then just add whatever mppt you want.

The 135W idle consumption on the LVX-6048 sucks
😳😳😳

Ok, so considering I might be able to get 2400w of array at best, that 50w idle makes things look a lot better.

Didn't Luxpower or someone come out with a 6000xp clone for cheaper? The $1300 for that seems like a good middle ground if still pricy.

Last edited:
Holy cow, yeah it does!!!
Id be looking for something else for an off grid camp. Perhaps an AIO unit just doesn't fit the profile with that kind of consumption.

A decent LF inverter/charger is around 55 watts idle consumption. Then just add whatever mppt you want.
From what I'm finding a 6kw split phase inverter is about $1300-ish on its own, so adding in 60-100a of 48v MPPT on top of that makes that a non-starter.

😳😳😳

Ok, so considering I might be able to get 2400w of array at best, that 50w idle makes things look a lot better.

Didn't Luxpower or someone come out with a 6000xp clone for cheaper? The $1300 for that seems like a good middle ground if still pricy.
If we knew that pump in-rush number, we may be able to zero in on a smaller inverter, that wiil still do what you need, and save some money and maybe lower standby current too.
The other way around that pump start up, are inverters like the Victron that would handle overloads long enough to start the pump.

I know, I know, your not looking at spending "Victron money" right now, but hear me out, some of the guys have noted some super deals lately on the Victron equipment, may be worth searching the forum on this topic to see.

If I were to go with a component system, I'd be interested in the newer WZRELB smaller split phase units, but I'd be real interested to hear from people who have surge checked them. At half the price of a stand alone inverter adding in a 60a 48v SCC becomes more viable. Or even easier would be to get the 24v version, snag 1 of the 3 24v battery packs from the cabin, and finding a 24v MPPT or two is much easier.

The pump only draws 11a on each leg once it's running so 6kw is for sure overkill, but finding smaller split phase AIO's is hard.

From what I'm finding a 6kw split phase inverter is about $1300-ish on its own, so adding in 60-100a of 48v MPPT on top of that makes that a non-starter.
Screenshot_20240303-201738_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240303-201926_Chrome.jpg

I dont know much about Sungold but the price is right. The Aims versions seem to hold up great, i have one.
Midnite from Altestore is the best deal on a 100A charge controller.

😳😳😳

Yea.
I don't think so. Once Lux and EG4 partnered up the prices went up and importing wasn't easy anymore...

If I were to go with a component system, I'd be interested in the newer WZRELB smaller split phase units, but I'd be real interested to hear from people who have surge checked them. At half the price of a stand alone inverter adding in a 60a 48v SCC becomes more viable. Or even easier would be to get the 24v version, snag 1 of the 3 24v battery packs from the cabin, and finding a 24v MPPT or two is much easier.

The pump only draws 11a on each leg once it's running so 6kw is for sure overkill, but finding smaller split phase AIO's is hard.
Those look interesting, I don't see an idle consumption listed; I'd definitely find out what it is.

Back