diy solar

diy solar

Will a high discharge rate for 10 minutes damage a gel battery?

Skid

Solar Enthusiast
I plan to build a small house in a remote area where importing LFP or a generator like a Delta Pro isn't an option. I can get gel for a somewhat reasonable price though. My power needs are small except for an espresso machine that requires 10-15 minutes at 11-1600w. With 4 gel 12v100ah at giving 200AH at 24v I think that will draw 70amps for 15 minutes. Everything else in the house, ie a small inverter fridge and a couple LED lights will total about 25ah used at night.

Will that high rate of discharge for a short time affect the life of the battery, or would I be better off spending another $300 and having 300AH at 24v? I'm in my 70s and won't live forever and here only 2-4 months a year. Not really interested in a 20 year battery life, just something for 5-7 years and hope something better comes along.

I plan to build a small house in a remote area where importing LFP or a generator like a Delta Pro isn't an option. I can get gel for a somewhat reasonable price though. My power needs are small except for an espresso machine that requires 10-15 minutes at 11-1600w. With 4 gel 12v100ah at giving 200AH at 24v I think that will draw 70amps for 15 minutes. Everything else in the house, ie a small inverter fridge and a couple LED lights will total about 25ah used at night.

Will that high rate of discharge for a short time affect the life of the battery, or would I be better off spending another $300 and having 300AH at 24v? I'm in my 70s and won't live forever and here only 2-4 months a year. Not really interested in a 20 year battery life, just something for 5-7 years and hope something better comes along.

1600W / 24V /.85 = 78A

78A / 200Ah = 0.39C rate

If the GELs are higher end with additional ratings published for higher discharge than C20, then they're definitely fine.

Even without that info, they should be fine. More important is to insure that you do not charge them at high voltage. GEL are very susceptible to deterioration at voltages typical of other lead acid. A 12V GEL typically charges only at 14.0-14.V and floats at 13.8V.

I would discourage espresso use at low states of charge.

If $300 is in the budget, more capacity is usually not a bad thing.

Note also that charge current is a factor. Check the battery spec and confirm that whatever charging means you are using can't exceed the max charge rate of the batteries.

Back