diy solar

diy solar

BUSBARS-WHERE TO FIND THEM?

nwillitts

Solar Enthusiast
any one know where i can obtain busbars for my batteries?right now am waiting on the bolts.probably have to make my own.

Thank You.

Buss bars are pretty specific to the battery type. I am making my own to avoid multiple connections on a 2P 16S pack. In that configuration there are a lot of 4 hole buss bars. My preference is to have one buss bar for that connection then rely on 3 or 4 separate bars.

The center to center distances between posts is sometimes different depending if you are going off the end to another cell or across the cells.

making 2p 4s pack.
for my 24v van inverter/charger.putting the 4 100ah AGM's to bed.gonna save a lot of room and weight.

ok,measured,cut and drilled this.

pretty tough to drill.mounted them on batts,balance charging with this-

this power supply-

lets see what happens.

I thought of going that route with my last build but that is quite expensive. It would be cheaper, and some would argue against it, to use 1/4" x 1" aluminum bar stock. Unless you need more than 200amps, 1/4" x 1" aluminum will easly handle 100amps without any issues at all and doesn't cost $36/foot.

yea,it was laying around in storage for a few years,amazon is just what i used to represent the width and thickness.the other 2 links are actual.

FYI, For mobile use, tying batteries together with solid busbars put a LOT of stress on battery terminals as they jiggle around. You should consider ones made with copper braid instead.

View attachment 15770

If you batteries are "jiggling around" in a mobile install, you've got bigger things to worry about than your busbars. FYI almost all drop in batteries use solid buss bars if they use prismatic cells. I'm going on 5 years with my DIY lithium bank in my van with solid bus bars and zero issues.

FYI, For mobile use, tying batteries together with solid busbars put a LOT of stress on battery terminals as they jiggle around.
Whilst I think this is a fair point, jiggling around would be very bad for bussbars, I would offer just make sure your bussbars don't jiggle around! That is, physically secure the battery with, for example, hose clamps or similar.

1593341934615.png

Mind you, those braided bussbars do look nice :)

p.s. There are also loads of places you can buy such busbars on, for example, aliexpress.com:

1593342232807.png

Edit: Added postscript.

For our 280aH Xuba cells, we just took some 3/8” copper M coil tubing we had, and pounded it flat on an anvil. We custom cut for our cells at 4" lengths and drilled 5/16" holes (for 6mm stainless screws) at 3.5" on-center.

We also want to have the option to connect two packs in parallel, and everyone now knows these cell's terminals are not the same measurement end-to-end vs side-by-side. So I made a couple of bars longer with the appropriate on-center measurement to do that. In my case, I had to take into account the thickness of these trays I made for each pack.IMG_20200628_074221-01.jpeg

diy solar

diy solar
Back