diy solar

diy solar

Buying the second cheapest solar generator on amazon. Testing and review.

Laughingman

We have all been there. Its just past 2 am and your on amazon and you buy something and as soon as you click that button you know you have made a mistake. About a week ago I was there and this tiny solar system was the result. Now that its arrived I'm going to try and answer the age old question. Is this piece of junk worth my money. Ill be unboxing this product and putting it though its paces to the best of my ability to see what it can handle at my off grid property. As well as its durability. When looking for more information on this system I could find very little. Hopefully this will help if someone is doing the same. If you have any information or questions please post them here ill answer them to the best of my ability.

here is the product link

The box arrived and i opened it to discover they had set it up to self district placing the wire on the panel facing up to the opening with no cover. has i opened the box with a knife it would have been easy to nick the line.

Laying out the components I found that everything was here including the main unit with its battery and onboard light. This unit is basically a big flashlight/battery bank/charge controller. An all in one system with a handle on the top for easy transportation. The body of the unit is made with a relatively cheep if sturdy feeling green plastic and there's a distinct rattle when you shake it, which says to me that all the components inside are not secured down. The system was shipped with about 70 percent charge which is fairly standard these days with rechargeable batteries from amazon.

After figuring out the system of buttons on the side I tried plugging in the small hanging lights that come with the unit. These are made with a relatively cheep feeling plastic housing a low power LED light panel and a diffuser They plug right into the battery box with an attached 10 foot cord and each one has an integrated switch. Each of the lights worked and they all run at the same time with no seaming loss of brightness. For all they are fairly cheep there surprisingly bright. Not quite a normal LED light bulb but one of them is plenty to provide enough light in a room to see by. To test this I set one light up in my small bathroom. One of them will provide general light but I would not want to read by it. Two or three of them at the same time in a small space however seams to do the trick.

The small solar panel was next. I lifted it out of the box and was supersized by the weight the panel seams well made considering and plugging it in outside to the battery box it instantly was recognized and started charging it up. Ill post more about this as time goes on and i can mount this and start using it normally.

All in all this is a small self contained system for off grid lighting. You can also apparently charge small devices off of it such as a cellphone which Ill be trying out once its installed. I could see this system being useful in small sheds and out buildings tiny houses and for emergency lighting in areas prone to power outages. Until i get my larger system together ill be using it for light in a 16 by 12 tiny house so check back in for more info as i stress test it as much as I can

SPECS according to amazon
26000mAh/84Wh
Solar panel 5V/18W
Fully charged, the main LED flash light runs for 32~64 hours. 1200LM full brightness 32 hours, 600LM half brightness 64hours The small hanging lamps work from 14~40 hours. 1 lamp works for 40 hours. 2 lamps work for 20 hours. 3 lamps work for 14 hours.
It also suggests that the solar panel can fully charge the battery in a day so this could give you full light all night every night if that holds true

Attachments

• 20200503_131200.jpg
    20200503_131200.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200503_132056.jpg
    20200503_132056.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200503_131847.jpg
    20200503_131847.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 23
Back