diy solar

diy solar

Buzzing Inverter

littleharbor2

Solar Addict
Living off-grid on the beach in Baja California,
I picked up a Magna Sine MS 4024 inverter recently. I have a friend who has a MS 2024 model who wanted to step up in power. I sold him the inverter and when he installed it, it turns out it is buzzing pretty badly with no loads on it yet.
Does this sound like a problem worth fixing? BTW, I have it back now.

have a recording of the noise? Mine buzzes somewhat, its not loud. ours is outside in a shed. so the noise hasn't been an issue for us. buts its easy enough to tell its on, by the noise. is it louder than your trace inverter?

I have a MS4024 split phase, it makes a light buzzing noise, Normal. Its transformer based and a solid beast. Has fans when you really start to pull from it. Abought to decommission it after 15+ years.

have a recording of the noise? Mine buzzes somewhat, its not loud. ours is outside in a shed. so the noise hasn't been an issue for us. buts its easy enough to tell its on, by the noise. is it louder than your trace inverter?
My Trace inverter is silent, for the most part. The only time I ever heard it was when some company were running the coffee maker and microwave at the same time and even then it was very slight.

No recording. I never heard it myself. The friend has a 2kw24 volt version that is quiet. The installer noted the buzzing upon power up, no loads. I am going to power it up myself today if I get a chance.

No recording. I never heard it myself. The friend has a 2kw24 volt version that is quiet. The installer noted the buzzing upon power up, no loads. I am going to power it up myself today if I get a chance.
I'm not sure what "buzzing pretty badly" means, but my MS4448PAE has a low grade buzz when running with no loads. You can hear it from 15-20 feet if the room is quiet. It's normal.

I'm not sure what "buzzing pretty badly" means, but my MS4448PAE has a low grade buzz when running with no loads. You can hear it from 20 feet. It's normal.
I'll try to find out today. The installer didn't like the sound of it and he has many years of Off-Grid installs under his belt. Also, as mentioned, The 2000 watt model they were replacing is silent

Some strategically placed super glue on the transformer laminations and core may help. Using an insulated object (plastic or wooden dowel) press on the transformer till you find the area making the noise, then apply the glue.

diy solar

diy solar
Back