diy solar

diy solar

BYD Modules Redux! Comparison test of active balancing VS adding capacity to weak cells (pics)

Maast

Compulsive Tinkerer
Summary: I ran a series of 6 full charge/discharge tests with/without active balancing and/or with/without adding capacity. The BYD module I tested had 1 badly undercapacity and one moderately undercapacity cell and has a unmodified 3.2kwh capacity.
At a 1700W discharge rate with only active balancing the active balancing was completely unable to keep up and added nothing to the pack capacity - but under a low 200W discharge with active balancing it added 200watt-hours to the pack capacity - going from 3.2kwh to 3.4kwh overall capacity. BTW, at the bottom with the weakest cell at 2.9v and the other cells .15 or more higher active balancing was only contributing 1.2A (about 3.5 watts)
When I added two 8AH headways to the weakest cell (cell 6) and one headway to the next weakest cell (cell 4) at a 1700W discharge with NO active balancing the overall pack capacity gained 500wh going from 3.2kwh to 3.7kwh even though the Headways only contributed 76watt-hours to the pack capacity. With active balancing and Headways it added nothing, but the pack was in slightly better balance all along the spectrum of discharge.

For all the tests I charged the module up to 27.6V (3.45v/cell) and kept voltage applied until the charge acceptance went to 0 amps and then discharged to 2.9v at the lowest cell. Unfortunately not all the photos I took of the displays were usable. I'd love to give you the exact amp hours but the screwball DROK meter I'm using wouldnt reset its AH count and turning it off/on and charging/discharging confused the hell out of it. I could only reset the KWH meter, which I decided was good enough.

My test rig, a 20A Meanwell PSP-600-27 as a CC/CV charger, a 12v power supply to drive the relays and displays, 9 QNBBM 1S active balancers, and a 11 year old Victron 3000 feeding a space heater.
Test_Rig2.JPG

Test 1 - No Active Balance, bare module only, 1700W discharge. Pack capacity 3.2kwh,
NoBalance.jpg

Test 2 - Active balance only, 1700W discharge. Pack capacity 3.2kwh If you click on the picture you'll see the details.
ActiveOnly.jpg

Test 3 - 1700W load, 1 Headway on cell 6, 1 on cell 4. Active balance on. Pack capacity 3.5 khw

Test 4 - 1700W load, 2 HW on cell 6, 1 on cell 4. No Active balance. Pack capacity 3.7kwh. Added 500wh to capacity. I call that a result!
2on6_1on4.JPG
2HWon6_1on4_active.jpg

Test 5 - 1700W load 2HW on cell 6, 1 on cell 4. Active Balance on. Pack capacity 3.7kwh but I did notice that the balance was better across spectrum of discharge: 50mv vs 120mv difference. I noticed that after this many charge/discharge cycles that the top balance was MUCH better than when I started. The first cycle the lowest (cell 1) was at 3.39v while the highest (cell 7) was at 3.5v.
TopBalance.jpg

Test 6 - 200W load, Active Balance only. Pack capacity 3.4kwh, added 200wh to capacity.
200WActiveonly.jpg
At the end of the test I measured the balance current and at ~.15v difference than its neighbors it was 1.2A
BalanceCurrent.JPG

I noticed that in the middle of the discharge curves the active balancers kept the cells usually within 14-20mv of each other until they hit the top or bottom of the charge/discharge cycle.

I actually did a few more charge/discharge cycles that I didnt document here playing around with adding HWs to different cells and other things, about 8 in total.

All the modules I've looked at so far have been badly out of balance throughout the spectrum of charge and discharge, Usually with 1 sometimes 2 undercapacity or very undercapacity cells randomly distributed with a slight preference to the second half of the module (cells 4-8)
With these results, and the other things I've done with the BYD modules IMO the best way to use these is to parallel multiple packs at the cell level, add capacity to the lower cell groups, and use a robust active balancer. I'd NEVER use just one bare module unless I'd spent a good bit of time carefully adding capacity to the undercapacity cells until it was balanced all along the spectrum of charge/discharge while using a active balancer.

Edited a few times for typos.

Last edited:
Nice testing.

I've had 8x of these running as a complete 32kWhr (usable) wall since January. I wired each cell in parallel pretty early on and that did help alot. A few months ago I added 15x Headways to the weak cells across the packs. I found it did bring the bottom into a better balance level (I was balanced at the top after lots of time to do so) but wasn't a great return on overall capacity. However it would be hard for me to see the difference as I was still testing as a complete 32kWhr wall, and not individual packs.

I noticed that in the middle of the discharge curves the active balancers kept the cells usually within 14-20mv of each other until they hit the top or bottom of the charge/discharge cycle.

The active balancers did nothing, this chemistry always is in balance in the middle of the curve, for a larger portion of middle too. I'm sitting at 20mV right now at 30% SoC. Haven't top balanced in over a month.

Really this is why I always advise against active balancers. For this chemistry, they will only every be doing anything from 15%SoC and below, and 85% SoC and above. The rest of the time they will be idle, because the voltages in each cell will be so close it won't know where to move energy from or too. So it's only going to be meaningful in full DoD (Depth of Discharge) cycles, and only at very low loads (loads at the rated balance current, which is likely only 2A). BUT since we want to extend the life of these batteries with shallow DoD cycles (like say 20-80%), the active balancers will never do anything for you. Expect on the occasional full charge balance, but vs the cost of passive balance you'll never earn your investment back by using an more expensive active over passive.

I believe @Will Prowse has discussed this at length as well, and doesn't use active for this reason either.

Pics of my messy setup. Don't judge.

MVIMG_20200920_120014.jpg
MVIMG_20200920_115958.jpg

Are the batteries in question the original BYD retreads from late 2019 (the ones with the big heat sinks - perhaps removed) or the used BYD box batteries I've been seeing for sale lately? Hard to tell from the photographs... thx.

Are the batteries in question the original BYD retreads from late 2019 (the ones with the big heat sinks - perhaps removed) or the used BYD box batteries I've been seeing for sale lately? Hard to tell from the photographs... thx.

Mine are from December (yes heat sinks removed). Though I really suspect the cells are the exact same cells, just packaged differently and used in different applications.

Good to know... I have 4 of the same exact units - but installed in plug & play "refurbs" - with built-in bms and housing. Still have the heat sinks attached - so very heavy.
I keep mine well between the knees - 27.1 bulk, 26.7 float and 26.4 recharge. They've performed well off-grid for the last 8 months. Best.

Not sure if that was directed to me, but mine are the originals with a huge honking heat sinks that I've removed. Still heavy as sin but not quite as bad. I'm having to use a block and tackle hooked to the overhead joists to put them on/off the rack and a wheelbarrow to move them around the shop.

So in testing, how have these done with full discharge and charge cycles? I've got a single tesla module in my RV, but the voltage limitations are a bit annoying and I with my conservative charge and discharge cutoffs I'm really only getting 60% of capacity.

I'm thinking I'd get more usable capacity out of the lifepo4s without having dreams of burning tesla batteries taking out my camper.

So in testing, how have these done with full discharge and charge cycles? I've got a single tesla module in my RV, but the voltage limitations are a bit annoying and I with my conservative charge and discharge cutoffs I'm really only getting 60% of capacity.

I'm thinking I'd get more usable capacity out of the lifepo4s without having dreams of burning tesla batteries taking out my camper.
My 8 have been in service for 9 months. I intentionally try to avoid deep discharge cycles daily to prolong life. Daily average cycle is around 25 to 75% SoC. Still holding at the 32kwhr I originally baselined them at.

Here's the last month of usage. Blue range is the range of SoC that day.
Screenshot_20201014-140030.png

Back