diy solar

diy solar

Cable selection

Breakinit

This is my first post in this forum, happy to join in. I have been living off grid since the 90's doing all installation myself. I'm beginning another upgrade from lead acid to Lifepo4 and adding a second array. I have been studying and trying to catch up on what is current. Reading in Victron's excellent pub. Wiring Unlimited I came upon this:

"When selecting cables avoid these mistakes: · • Don’t use cables with coarse strands. • Don’t use non-flexible cables. • Don’t use AC cables. "
There is no explanation that I could find for why this is so.

So since the beginning I have used coarse stranded, non-flexible cable that is intended for AC use for all my high current DC connections. I even have 4/0 standard cable from my local electric supplier connecting batteries to inverter, with lugs I made from copper tubing flattened drilled and soldered. It took some effort but doable and a lot less expensive. So my question is, why was/is this a mistake? Thanks for your time.

soldered. It took some effort but doable and a lot less expensive. So my question is, why was/is this a mistake? Thanks for your time.

This is why you haven't experienced significant issues. If you crimp coarse strand wire into terminals, you don't get good contact.

Crimp-only with find strand wire is the preferred method. It's faster, and it's better for flexibility. Soldered connections can crack and are ultimately higher resistance than a high quality crimp. Quality crimped connections have near 100% copper to copper contact where soldering has a lot of the gap between strands filled with higher resistance lead and tin.

Great to know! Thanks. It has worked for 30 years. I wonder what the total lose from resistance in the soldered joints has amounted to over all these years. Current under the bridge.

JMO solder has its place but mobile connections if done properly probably should be crimp connections due to vibration.

Back