diy solar

diy solar

Help with panel/cable/CC selection

Nan_wpg

Solar Enthusiast
Hi people. Looking to now add to my battery and inverter for a complete system. Alte calculator tells me I need a 1.2 kw array, 24A CC.

Ive selected a Victron smart solar 150/35 Cc, and 4 - 355w panels. Panels will be 2s2p. Using voltage drop calculators suggest 6awg output,cables and 10awg source cables.

im open to other suggestions. CC was within what I need, and panels were selected for no other reason than they are available locally for pickup.

questions:

1. Should I combine at array and run 6awg, or run 10awg to the CC and combine there? (50 feet from panels)

2. What “type” of cable? (6awg pv not available). I’m confused about then, mtw, welding etc. I know stranded is better, and Victron want “more” strands.

3. Ground wire inside conduit, or outside? 6awg solid is available at my Home Depot

id like to place Midnite spd’s on both ends of the array cable.

1. Should I combine at array and run 6awg, or run 10awg to the CC and combine there? (50 feet from panels)
Usually combine at the array to save on wire.
2. What “type” of cable? (6awg pv not available). I’m confused about then, mtw, welding etc. I know stranded is better, and Victron want “more” strands.
In conduit you can use THHN/THWN stranded.
3. Ground wire inside conduit, or outside? 6awg solid is available at my Home Depot
Inside
#10 THHN/ THHN stranded Inside the conduit.
#6 solid or stranded exposed at the array.
id like to place Midnite spd’s on both ends of the array cable.
Always a good idea.

Usually combine at the array to save on wire.

In conduit you can use THHN/THWN stranded.

Inside
#10 THHN/ THHN stranded Inside the conduit.
#6 solid or stranded exposed at the array.

Always a good idea.
Tim, the 6awg thhn/twhn has only 19 strands. Is it available with more strands (as per Victron) or does Victron want lots of strands from CC to battery (and 19 strand thhn is good enough from array to CC?)

what do you recommend for conduit?

10awg is enough for ground? (Just for array, and 6awg for everything else?)

Tim, the 6awg thhn/twhn has only 19 strands. Is it available with more strands (as per Victron) or does Victron want lots of strands from CC to battery (and 19 strand thhn is good enough from array to CC?)
19 strands is fine.

what do you recommend for conduit?
PVC, if underground.
Otherwise, EMT.
10awg is enough for ground? (Just for array, and 6awg for everything else?)
#10 is fine for everything.
Except when exposed to physical damage. (Outside of conduit)

How long of a run from the panels to the SCC?

Even 2p for those panels you’re probably pushing what 20 at 80v? IMO 6awg is mighty big for 20a.

Can you find another panel so you can run higher voltage and avoid the cost of that size conductor? VOC around 30v you could do 3p.

How long of a run from the panels to the SCC?

Even 2p for those panels you’re probably pushing what 20 at 80v? IMO 6awg is mighty big for 20a.

Can you find another panel so you can run higher voltage and avoid the cost of that size conductor? VOC around 30v you could do 3p.
I ran everything through a calculator and 6awg is what it gave me. It’s about 50 feet so I used 100 for calculations, for a 2% drop.

im open to other panels. This particular panel is available locally, that’s the only reason I chose it.

im still learning so if anyone can come up with a panel/wiring scheme that’s “better” or makes more sense I’m all ears.

Back