diy solar

diy solar

California to regulate all pool pumps beginning 2025

glandpuck

Solar Enthusiast
From PV magazine: "The California Energy Commission (CEC) has issued flexible demand standards for swimming pool controls. Starting in September 2025, pool controls sold in the state must default to operating pool equipment when electricity prices and greenhouse gas emissions are low. Both conditions are met at times of high renewable generation."

Essentially now that they have regulated every piece of solar equipment and gutted net metering in the state and forced everyone into batteries, the state is now determined to have internet connectivity and control over all of your electric appliances and equipment on your property, even if that equipment is off grid or operated by a generator.

Of course, the only solution to this extreme madness is to purchase your offset smoker now so you can burn tree wood to cook your food whenever you want, that is if you are not in jail for burning wood in the first place.

I live in southern Colorado, but I expect CA to reach into my state any day now, and start regulating things ...

Where's my pitchfork ...

From PV magazine: "... pool controls sold in the state must default to operating pool equipment when electricity prices and greenhouse gas emissions are low. "

"California to regulate all pool pumps beginning 2025"

The text says pool controls are to be regulated, not pumps.
And it says "default", i.e. the settings present before you change it to your liking.

So that's the "default" settings. Sounds like you might still be able to adjust to your own needs but for "Joe 6 pack" the default setup will reduce demand?

And it says "default", i.e. the settings present before you change it to your liking.
I am fundamentally a free market guy but the idiocy of consumers who run high current devices when the grid is stressed just mystifies me. Then those same people complain of high energy bills. Darwin was right.

Last edited:
Of course, the only solution to this extreme madness is to purchase your offset smoker now
No worries, my smoker is electric and uses a small amount of chips to create the smoke. The ways I understand smoking is that the first hour of smoke is all that is needed, then it is low and slow and I get better temperature control with my electric smoket that I ever did with my wood burner.

No worries, my smoker is electric and uses a small amount of chips to create the smoke. The ways I understand smoking is that the first hour of smoke is all that is needed, then it is low and slow and I get better temperature control with my electric smoket that I ever did with my wood burner.
Smoke will always penetrate meats. So yes, when you think you have enough smokey flavor, then switch to electric, charcoal, etc to keep the cook going to your level of completion. Wrapping in foil or butcher paper will also allow further cooking and block out more smoke penetration if still cooking with wood or pellets.

"California to regulate all pool pumps beginning 2025"

Yes, but when you read the entire article, the pool controls are to be on pumps so they can be directly managed. Just like Raypak now has a heater with it's own stand alone controls and not requiring the central control panel.

when you think you have enough smokey flavor, then switch to electric, charcoal, etc to keep the cook going to your level of completion.
I used to have a great device that could regulate the heat on my charcoal fired smoker with a small fan. It also had WIFI and heat probes for the meat so I could monitor it from the comfort of my couch. Of course my electric smoker does that now and I never run out of charcoal.

Just wait till they ban meat in California.

From PV magazine: "The California Energy Commission (CEC) has issued flexible demand standards for swimming pool controls. Starting in September 2025, pool controls sold in the state must default to operating pool equipment when electricity prices and greenhouse gas emissions are low. Both conditions are met at times of high renewable generation."

Essentially now that they have regulated every piece of solar equipment and gutted net metering in the state and forced everyone into batteries, the state is now determined to have internet connectivity and control over all of your electric appliances and equipment on your property, even if that equipment is off grid or operated by a generator.

Of course, the only solution to this extreme madness is to purchase your offset smoker now so you can burn tree wood to cook your food whenever you want, that is if you are not in jail for burning wood in the first place.
Move to a non communist state

Just wait till they ban meat in California.
Ha, my favorite winery down the street used to have hundreds of acres dedicated to cattle and it was always feast or famine. Now that they converted half the acreage to growing grapes they are economically much better off. I looked at a leg of Lamb the other day and discovered it came from Australia so I am not concerned. There are still plenty of locals that raise a few head of cattle nearby.

Do you not think that those that voted for this didn’t get sort some of compensation from the equipment manufacturer that makes this miraculous pool pump controller? Do you really think that they are in if for position’s salary.

I think scheduling pool pumps to run during excess solar generation is a great idea. There are 1.34 million pools in California. Assuming each is a 10k gallon pool using 10 amp 240V pump then it amounts to 3216 MW of demand.

I think scheduling pool pumps to run during excess solar generation is a great idea. There are 1.34 million pools in California. Assuming each is a 10k gallon pool using 10 amp 240V pump then it amounts to 3216 MW of demand.
Its enough that they have rates tiered by high demand times. People think with their wallet. We dont need government controlling every aspect of our lives.

"Expect pools to be the first of many consumer goods to be made more flexible. McAllister said the agency would next tackle water heaters, residential batteries and potentially electric vehicle chargers."

No surprise.

Why stop there? They should regulate when (and what) we eat, sleep, and shit too. In ze pods eating ze bugs. I have zero faith in any .gov.

Back