diy solar

diy solar

Camper Van Solar Setup - Schematic Check

AntonJorg

Hi all,

I'm doing an electrical system overhaul on my campervan (1982 Toyota Hiace), and since it's my first solar install I figured I'd better show the schematic here to see if I've made any major mistakes in the setup. Schematic, and picture of the car ;), is attached, don't mind the ampacity table, I put it in for my own sake. One thing that is not in the diagram is that I will also be using the starter battery charging feature of the Multiplus.

I've spent a great amount of time reading through this forum, and I think the wiring is sound, but am less sure of the wire/fuse sizing, and fuse types. Let me know if there's any additional information that I should include.

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Attachments

• solar_diagram.png
    solar_diagram.png
    623 KB · Views: 10
  • ace.jpg
    ace.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 9
Everything on the DC side seems OK.
With the AC side , depending on local regulations some overload and protection may be required. In the UK this would need double pole MCB and RCD on the AC input to the Multiplus, and a further RCD and MCB on the AC output. The chassis earth point of the Multiplus enclosure connected to van metal via 16mm2 cable. Also negative buss bar connected to van metal via 16mm2 cable. The shore power protective earth also connects to van metal
Because the Multiplus, in stand alone mode, (no shore power) it automatically configures a neutral to protective earth bond. To prevent electric shock an earth leakage protection device, a RCD is needed.

Everything on the DC side seems OK.
With the AC side , depending on local regulations some overload and protection may be required. In the UK this would need double pole MCB and RCD on the AC input to the Multiplus, and a further RCD and MCB on the AC output. The chassis earth point of the Multiplus enclosure connected to van metal via 16mm2 cable. Also negative buss bar connected to van metal via 16mm2 cable. The shore power protective earth also connects to van metal
Because the Multiplus, in stand alone mode, (no shore power) it automatically configures a neutral to protective earth bond. To prevent electric shock an earth leakage protection device, a RCD is needed.
Thanks Mike, I'll have a look at the necessary AC protection here in DK, if it's less strict than what you mentioned I'll probably go with your suggestion anyway, can't hurt to be on the safe side. I appreciate the help!

diy solar

diy solar
Back