diy solar

diy solar

can a panel generate enough voltage to run 120 volts without batteries??

kenbob

I have access to 6 panels that are rated at 43 voc and 445 watt each could they run 110 volts with good sunlight without batteries??just wondering i am new to all the solar and just trying to learn

I was just wondering if it would do it on a good sunny day for a temporary power source without having to have batteries and what kind of inverter would it take???just curious

In another thread there’s a video by Will who does this on the cheap. However, it looks like you need to oversize your panels by 10X and it drops out as soon as you have a bit of shading. It can be done, but add a battery if you want it to be useful

In another thread there’s a video by Will who does this on the cheap. However, it looks like you need to oversize your panels by 10X and it drops out as soon as you have a bit of shading. It can be done, but add a battery if you want it to be useful
Yea oversizing is definitely needed but this would not be cost effective for some simple loads

Yes, it can be done. I run a front loader washing machine with an old MSW inverter where I feed the PV voltage directly into the high voltage capacitors. I did this successfully for three years. Last summer there were just too many clouds and the smoke from Canada. I modified it again so the 12V inverter section would come on automatically if a cloud passed and I needed to supply up to an additional 100W.

I have a garage system with no batteries. I supply a 60V DC inverter directly from a 60V array. These inverters are common in Europe, but can be found here. They are 220V 50 Hz and that can run many wall wart supplies easily. A transformer or circuit mod can reduce that to 120V.

Back