diy solar

diy solar

Can EG4 AIOs just use Solar/Home Assistant?

Madcodger

Solar Addict
As I get ready to purchase my EG4 system, the only thing I'd really like to change is a dependence on their app/connection to their servers for monitoring. I know I need to use that for firmware updates, but what about just day-to-day monitoring? Is it possible to just avoid connecting to EG4's servers, and use software such as Solar Assistant or Home Assistant to monitor EG4 AIOs and batteries? Is anyone on the forum able to shed light on that please?

“ I know I need to use that for firmware updates” you can Local Connect to the EG4 and upload firmware. And also view the app without connecting to the EG4 server.

Attachments

• IMG_5488.jpeg
    IMG_5488.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 4
Following though this is a very complex topic.

AFAICT if the Internet goes away everything should continue to run, and you can always use the displays on the individual devices to see what’s happening.

SA support for EG4 products appears to be still evolving, but depending on the exact devices you have in mind it certainly looks do-able. I’m expecting to get something lashed up RSN…

I use home assistant as well. It's ideal for me.

If you're not a data nerd and not paranoid about privacy or security then the eg4 monitoring portal is great.

If the eg4 site went down, and you needed to make changes, you'd have to go press buttons like a pilgrim to change settings

Are we thinking the units will shut down without the internet or something? You may not get any updates, as long as you have it working as desired, you can unplug the dongle it will work just fine. If you want support that might be sub-optimal.

Are we thinking the units will shut down without the internet or something? You may not get any updates, as long as you have it working as desired, you can unplug the dongle it will work just fine. If you want support that might be sub-optimal.
I just unplugged my dongle and everything works fine. I Probably will just keep the firmware that I have as long as everything keeps working.

Many thanks for the info everyone. Great news! Order placed with Current Connected. Now if they'll just get the building built, I'll have a place to install it all! The news about those idiotic tariffs has stuff flying off the shelves, so I got stuff ordered for install in July (I hope).

Hooked up my first inverter to SA, and it looks pretty good. Need to get the second one in place and the rest of the batteries, and there aren't as many details as I'd like (battery is just totals, I'd really like to see details down to the cell voltage on individual batteries, but that's me).

As I get ready to purchase my EG4 system, the only thing I'd really like to change is a dependence on their app/connection to their servers for monitoring. I know I need to use that for firmware updates, but what about just day-to-day monitoring? Is it possible to just avoid connecting to EG4's servers, and use software such as Solar Assistant or Home Assistant to monitor EG4 AIOs and batteries? Is anyone on the forum able to shed light on that please?

Yes, but I would recommend disconnecting solar assistant/third party app when going to perform a firmware update.

diy solar

diy solar
Back