diy solar

diy solar

Can I connect a 12v power supply to a solar controller and install and automatic switch?

MMelick

I sell solar powered phone charging kiosks. You can lock your device in a locker with a code and plug into a charge cord. It has 12 lockers. My current setup is 160watt solar panel, 100aH battery, and 20amp solar controller. Clients would like dual power option. I would like to make it simple so they can just plug the unit in and it will automatically switch over from solar to grid. Everything I have found is not quite what I need. Most controllers Ive seen with dual option are 50a and bigger. This is too much for me. Also they seem designed to switch between battery and grid. I want to switch between solar and grid to feed the controller. Is this feasable? I am self taught in solar and have a lot to learn. I did this previously with a pico ups board from minibox. It worked but was a little unreiable I think due to 10a limit. Thanks in advance for any assistance! Link to parts appreciatted!

Matt20231103_083335.jpg

Your subject question and post text barely seem related.

Can you clarify what you're trying to do?

Solar controller = device that takes DC from PV and charges battery.

What are you trying to do with grid power? Solar controllers clearly can't accept grid power.

Clients use the unit with solar power. But want the option to also plug into wall power. So I am fitting the unit with a 20amp switching dc power supply. This will feed 12v to the solar controller instead of the panel. I am looking for an automatic transfer switch to do this. The only boards can find online are 10amps. Or a solar grid complimentary controllers at 20a.

Seems it would be easier to use a 120VAC to DC charger direct to the battery? No? It would do nothing unless it were plugged in.
This is the first thing that popped into my mind too.

The Victron IP22 charger I have would be ideal for this since you can program it to only charge at the voltages your wanting it to. The reason this is so handy is that the solar will still do the main charging if sunlight is available but if the charge level goes down enough the ip22 will kick in at the point you set to handle the job.

This is how I have my 12v system setup since I don't want it charged from ac unless I have days on end of cloudy weather. As long as the system is working ok with sunlight the ip22 does nothing but if it discharges enough it charges the batteries back up automatically.

We already have solar powered tables to charge phones that the client can plug in. It automatically switches to the power supply to charge the battery instead of the panel.
This is the first thing that popped into my mind too.

The Victron IP22 charger I have would be ideal for this since you can program it to only charge at the voltages your wanting it to. The reason this is so handy is that the solar will still do the main charging if sunlight is available but if the charge level goes down enough the ip22 will kick in at the point you set to handle the job.

This is how I have my 12v system setup since I don't want it charged from ac unless I have days on end of cloudy weather. As long as the system is working ok with sunlight the ip22 does nothing but if it discharges enough it charges the batteries back up automatically.
Sounds like an option. I'll look into it. Thank you.

That looks like a great charger but told much for my needs. I do not want client to need to bluetooth connect and set up. Just plug and play. Still I twisted in this method but too pricey and requires client to manage. Any cheaper simpler options?? We have done this as well with solar connectors but this also requires client to disconnect panel and connect the power supply. Not good.

Is the grid charging just for emergency? A way to recover after several days of no sun? How long can this thing run if every charger is being used? How many days can it run with no sun?

That looks like a great charger but told much for my needs. I do not want client to need to bluetooth connect and set up. Just plug and play. Still I twisted in this method but too pricey and requires client to manage. Any cheaper simpler options?? We have done this as well with solar connectors but this also requires client to disconnect panel and connect the power supply. Not good.
The client doesnt program it. You do. It saves the settings you set it to and changes the pin number so no one can log into it but you to keep them from tinkering with it.

Any battery charger you add should work its just a nicer setup using something like the ip22. If whatever charger you wire in gets plugged up to ac it will charge the battery.

Yes all you need is a 12v charger with a BIGGER amp rating than your max load

BUT you need one that turns on without any button presses , from memory I think a CTEK charger would suit

Clients use the unit with solar power. But want the option to also plug into wall power. So I am fitting the unit with a 20amp switching dc power supply. This will feed 12v to the solar controller instead of the panel. I am looking for an automatic transfer switch to do this. The only boards can find online are 10amps. Or a solar grid complimentary controllers at 20a.

Your panel is feeding 17-24V (depending on panel/situation).

You can't feed 12V into a solar controller and get something meaningful out. You need to feed something like 19V into it. Perhaps a laptop power supply?

Your panel is feeding 17-24V (depending on panel/situation).

You can't feed 12V into a solar controller and get something meaningful out. You need to feed something like 19V into it. Perhaps a laptop power supply?
I can get any voltage switching power supply needed. I can fine tune with the pot. Don't think there are 20 amp laptop bricks. Mainly need to figure the switching out. Like I said I have done this with a pico ups from minibox.com. It worked but that board is only good to 10 amps. I know from experience wit this unit that 10amps is not sufficient.

Back