diy solar

diy solar

Can I power inverter "via" the MPPT controller?

balthazar

This might be a stupid question but I hope someone could explain this to me. I'm planning to build a system with 400W panels, the Victron 100/50 MPPT controller, a 4s2p LiFePo4 battery bank and a 1500W 12VDC to 230VAC inverter for my cabin.

The loads of the 12V system will usually be around 100-200W max (a 55w fridge and a few led lights plus charging phones etc) but I I want the option to use AC for certain short periods, like using kitchen appliances. For the 12V loads I plan to wire them from the Victron 100/50 since the 50A output limit is more than enough for those, but my question is regarding the 1500W inverter.

My understanding is that the way to do this is to wire the inverter from the battery, and when I turn the inverter on, the Victron will provide as much current as it can and the battery will provide the rest, is this the case? My 560Ah battery will be able to output 280A continuously, although capped at 200A for the BMS, but I guess that my worry is to hurt the Victron 100/50 by drawing more than 50A.

Grateful for all tips and thoughts.

This might be a stupid question but I hope someone could explain this to me. I'm planning to build a system with 400W panels, the Victron 100/50 MPPT controller, a 4s2p LiFePo4 battery bank and a 1500W 12VDC to 230VAC inverter for my cabin.

Answer to subject: Sorta.

The MPPT does not need to be connected to a battery to function after the initial connection and voltage selection; however the MPPT can't typically respond fast enough to load changes for reliable operation. But I don't think this is what you're asking.

The loads of the 12V system will usually be around 100-200W max (a 55w fridge and a few led lights plus charging phones etc) but I I want the option to use AC for certain short periods, like using kitchen appliances. For the 12V loads I plan to wire them from the Victron 100/50 since the 50A output limit is more than enough for those, but my question is regarding the 1500W inverter.

The 100/50 does not include load ports, so there is no "wire them from the victron 100/50".

My understanding is that the way to do this is to wire the inverter from the battery, and when I turn the inverter on, the Victron will provide as much current as it can and the battery will provide the rest, is this the case?

Mostly.

My 560Ah battery will be able to output 280A continuously, although capped at 200A for the BMS, but I guess that my worry is to hurt the Victron 100/50 by drawing more than 50A.

You can try to draw as much as you want. It won't supply more than 50A.

Grateful for all tips and thoughts.

Simply connect Inverter, 12V loads and MPPT to battery.

The MPPT will charge the battery and attempt to hold it fully charged. If loads are being drawn (either from inverter or directly from battery), the battery voltage will drop and the MPPT will supply additional current up to 50A (assuming you have about 700W+ of solar attached). If additional current is needed, it will be drawn from the battery.

Back