diy solar

diy solar

Can I use 72V 30Ah LiFePo4 batteries for Solar Energy?

Songomx

Can I use 72V 30Ah LiFePo4 batteries for Solar Energy? Which inverter(s) work(s) with this battery configuration?

Your selection of inverters and solar charge controller will be very limited at that voltage.

Why are you using that voltage?

What kind of battery is this? If you have multiple, it might be worth tearing them down and re-assembling a larger 48V bank from the cells.

Yes, I understand that...
The thing is that I'm at a market not ready yet for Solar Energy...
Keeping that in mind, batteries offered are usually used for e bikes and electric motorcycles; hence the odd voltages values available (60, 72 Volts)...
And also, its really expensive to import batteries here... therefore, I'm trying to make the most of what I got here...
Any advice?

You can pretty much forget finding affordable gear at 72V, while 24V or 48V is a lot easier to deal with, so you're stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

Can you post some photos of the batteries? How easy is it to open them up? e-bikes/e-MC often use cylindric cells though, so you might be in for some fun there.

If you have any of those handy, open it up and have a look at how it's wired. Take photos if you can.

If you have any of those handy, open it up and have a look at how it's wired. Take photos if you can.
No, sorry, don't have any... but almost certain they are 18650 or 27000 modules... with an included BMS...

What? You think most of us aren't importing our LiFePO4 cells? LOL! I would guess than 90% of the DIY battery installs here are imported from China.
Yes, I know... but here is VERY DIFFICULT to import ... ANYTHING!!!

I am in a very similar situation to Songomx. I am not in Cuba but I understand his situation with importation there. I have a large 72v battery system that I use for something similar to an electric motorcycle (not the same, but same battery configuration of 72V 40Ah). The only inverter I have found that is capable of accepting 72v is around $1,100. That is just too much to pay.

I purchased a pretty decent 72v to 12v DC to DC converter but the max on that unit is only 600 watts. This does not give me the ability to run a nice 2,000 watt inverter to get AC. So now I am on the hunt again for something that works.

That is if I am correct that the 600 watt max on the converter limits the output from the inverter? Please tell me if I am wrong.

And to Songomx, sorry to hijack your thread. If you run all DC you should be able to use that battery but if you need big wattage on AC then you will have to look at other options.

I am in a very similar situation to Songomx. I am not in Cuba but I understand his situation with importation there. I have a large 72v battery system that I use for something similar to an electric motorcycle (not the same, but same battery configuration of 72V 40Ah). The only inverter I have found that is capable of accepting 72v is around $1,100. That is just too much to pay. I purchased a pretty decent 72v to 12v DC to DC converter but the max on that unit is only 600 watts. This does not give me the ability to run a nice 2,000 watt inverter to get AC. So now I am on the hunt again for something that works. That is if I am correct that the 600 watt max on the converter limits the output from the inverter? Please tell me if I am wrong. And to Songomx, sorry to hijack your thread. If you run all DC you should be able to use that battery but if you need big wattage on AC then you will have to look at other options.

Hi... no problem, Cloudbaseracer... since asking for this, I have studied a little bit more this matter and I have found inverters that are more for high voltage batteries (like the Spanish Ingeteam and some Huawei models... even I recall that Growatt has some models for HV)...
So, if I would gonna do this type of project with this kind of batteries (72V 20-30 A), I would definitely go with a HV inverter like Ingeteam or Huawei and put 4, 5 or 6 of these batteries in series to add up to more than 300 V DC, which would give me more than enough power (with low amperage) to service the house...
I think that the only downside is that these HV Inverters, on the AC side, have their limitations on the max current they can give... for example, Ingeteam has a 63 A max current AC output... but, all in all, these solutions are workable for my situation...

Keep studying...!!!

Keep studying...!!!
Ok!

If you are ok with me asking, what sort of protective equipment do you consider important when working on HV battery? (>48V)

The only reason I ask is, the risk of DC arc shock intimidates me and from what I’ve read, rubber gloves with no small holes or cracks combined with leather glove for physical protection is common?

Anyways, I hope you can find a good solution in time with research.

Good luck

Ok!

If you are ok with me asking, what sort of protective equipment do you consider important when working on HV battery? (>48V)

The only reason I ask is, the risk of DC arc shock intimidates me and from what I’ve read, rubber gloves with no small holes or cracks combined with leather glove for physical protection is common?

Anyways, I hope you can find a good solution in time with research.

Good luck
Well, I'm not an expert but I can check with each technology provider ... anyway, specialized gloves, plastic goggles and all that stuff is mandatory for working HV electricity... and even for 48 V DC battery arrays... you can get harmed if short-circuiting a cell on those batteries...

Back