diy solar

diy solar

Can I use a 48V Golf Cart Battery charger for this?

RTL44

I just ordered my 48v 100A server rack batteries. I also have a Club Car 48v golf cart (and charger). Can I safely use the Club Car charger to charge my server rack batteries? I figured, I could buy a Club Car charger receptacle to then connect to the battery terminals. I believe the charger is 13A.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Club-Car-IC650-web.png
    Club-Car-IC650-web.png
    731.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 41TE3tiVgyL._AC_.jpg
    41TE3tiVgyL._AC_.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 2
Not enough information. You need to list charger model number or charging specs, what battery chemistries you're talking about, and the battery specs.

Most 48 volt chargers can charge any 48 bolt battery, until such time as the charger over-charges the battery because it wasn't meant for that specific chemistry or charge profile.

Battery chargers are basically just power supplies that periodically check the voltage of the battery and adjust their output for a proper charge profile. You can hook a 50v power supply to almost any similar class voltage battery and it will at least charge it part of the way, but it is probably going to fall short of a full charge, (or worse) over-charge the cells. With lithium ion, over charging causes really bad things to happen.

Not enough information. You need to list charger model number or charging specs, what battery chemistries you're talking about, and the battery specs.

Most 48 volt chargers can charge any 48 bolt battery, until such time as the charger over-charges the battery because it wasn't meant for that specific chemistry or charge profile.

Battery chargers are basically just power supplies that periodically check the voltage of the battery and adjust their output for a proper charge profile. You can hook a 50v power supply to almost any similar class voltage battery and it will at least charge it part of the way, but it is probably going to fall short of a full charge, (or worse) over-charge the cells. With lithium ion, over charging causes really bad things to happen.
OK Thanks - good to know. I will see if I can find the specs.

OK - It is apparent that this charger was designed for Lead Acid batteries. Thanks for your help. I'll get one designed for LiFePO4.

Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_7265.jpg
    IMG_7265.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 8
OK - It is apparent that this charger was designed for Lead Acid batteries. Thanks for your help. I'll get one designed for LiFePO4.

Thanks again
I just looked up your charger. It is a 48 volt charger, but for some strange reason, it has a 72 volt maximum output. Not sure what's up with that, I don't think the equalize function even goes that high on a 48v lead acid bank..

Your lithium battery bank will be well on its way to burning down your home before it ever reaches the 70 volt mark. Ask DeltaQ or Lester if they make a plug-in 48 volt lithium charger for your chemistry.

Stay away from these off-brand Chinese chargers, they have a high failure rate and are actually dangerous. I wouldn't let one of those things in the same room let alone plug it in.

I just ordered my 48v 100A server rack batteries. I also have a Club Car 48v golf cart (and charger). Can I safely use the Club Car charger to charge my server rack batteries? I figured, I could buy a Club Car charger receptacle to then connect to the battery terminals. I believe the charger is 13A.

Thoughts?
FYI, that Club Car ERIC charger can be updated with a USB disk to a new charging algorithm. There are ones out there that can charge lithium, but it goes to the peak so your BMS will likely be disconnecting regularly.

Back