diy solar

diy solar

Can Inverters shut down due to minimal load - Overcharging from Solar? Growatt 5000 ES.

Olasitu

I have 2 Growatt 5000 ES installed in Parallel with 2 x Blue Carbon 48V 200Ah Lithium Battery Pack For Solar Home System. PVs are Mono 10 x 550W. 5 panels each in series to each Inverter. Priority is set to Solar, Utility and Battery.

My inverters have been shutting down (No error codes) due to what appears to be "over charging" from the Solar panels. i.e. Not enough consumption of the power being generated. Question .. is this really possible that no to minimal load will cause a problem? If so or if not I would appreciate any inputs. I have been having to shut off the Solar panels and then restart the Inverters and then turn the Solar input back on.

I have 2 Growatt 5000 ES installed in Parallel with 2 x Blue Carbon 48V 200Ah Lithium Battery Pack For Solar Home System. PVs are Mono 10 x 550W. 5 panels each in series to each Inverter. Priority is set to Solar, Utility and Battery.

My inverters have been shutting down (No error codes) due to what appears to be "over charging" from the Solar panels. i.e. Not enough consumption of the power being generated. Question .. is this really possible that no to minimal load will cause a problem? If so or if not I would appreciate any inputs. I have been having to shut off the Solar panels and then restart the Inverters and then turn the Solar input back on.
You are about 1/2 the max Voc and wattage for the inverter, so no issue there. I would try changing your priority to SBU. Any reason why you want to pull from utilities before battery? SBU really should be the default on these units.

-Jay

You are about 1/2 the max Voc and wattage for the inverter, so no issue there. I would try changing your priority to SBU. Any reason why you want to pull from utilities before battery? SBU really should be the default on these units.

-Jay
Thank you Jay. The reason for SUB is that my priority is for power availability not to reduce cost. We have significant brown/black outs where I am. So SUB ensure 100% of availability. Cost of Power is also not that significant so Solar, Utility before Battery makes more sense for me in this location.

You refer to being 1/2 max VOC for the wattage. My question is really .. if the Panels are charging to the Max and there is not enough load on the Inverters will this cause a shut down? This is what I have been experiencing.

Your panels won't be giving out any more power than the inverters are sending to your house load, and to your batteries. The MPPT controlllers in the inverters will automatically adjust the amount of power coming from the solar panels to match your house load and the charging of the batteries. If you set as SBU, you shouldn't have any problems with power availability - if the solar is insufficient, the batteries will take over, if the batteries haven't sufficient charge, then the utility will take over. How many watts are the inverters sending to the batteries?

You are about 1/2 the max Voc and wattage for the inverter. I would try changing your priority to SBU. Any reason why you want to pull from utilities before battery? SBU really should be the default on these units.

-Jay
Thank you Jay. The reason for SUB is that my priority is for power availability not to reduce cost. We have significant brown/black outs where I am. So SUB ensure 100% of availability. Cost of Power is also not that significant so Solar, Utility before Battery makes more sense for me in this location.

You refer to being 1/2 max VOC for the wattage. My question is really .. if the Panels are charging to the Max and there is not enough load on the Inverters will this cause a shut down? This is what I have been experiencing.
How do you have setting 16 configured? Try CSO. If that doesn’t work then I have a tendency to recommend SBU because most issues I have seen are in SUB mode. Try SBU and set setting 12 very high, like 53.6V and 13 to 56V.

What are you calling minimal load?
Do you have power saving enabled?
Setting #4

Thank you all for your responses: To address the questions asked.

Setting 16 on 5000 ES is Backlight control. Setting #4 is disabled i.e. Default.

Since the inverter will only pull power needed from the PVs, Is it possible the shutdown is caused from the Battery overcharging.? Unfortunately, there was no error code captured.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My settings are as follows all other parameters are default for 5000 ES.

1 Output source priority: To configure load power source priority– SUB

2 Maximum charging current: – 80A

5 Battery type – USE not USE2

11 Maximum utility charging current – 30A

14 Charger source priority: To configure charger source priority– SNU

19 C.V. charging voltage. – 58V

20 Floating charging voltage – 55V

21 – Low DC cut-off voltage 45V

In SUB, I don't know why it would shut down. As long as utility power is available. And it wasn't overloaded. Even if the BMS shut down.

I am having similar issues.
Spf 8000 + 6000
2 lfp banks 280ah
Both units (same system swapped units)
at full charge or cv of 57.6v shut power for short bit (long enough to throw clocks to reset, lights out, etc)
I assume it is the transfer time when shutting/ throttling array down to meet the load in home from the full charging/ load. What worries me is the units internal hardware switching the 6600w and then 3300w ish respectively per unit.
Have also noted fault 03 flash but not register on peak during the charge completion stating Bat HV.

My dual spf 3000tl lvm have a setting 22 for solar power balance which on those units run fine enabled. The spf 6000/8000 do not have said setting though.Screenshot_20230516-140140_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

I am having similar issues.
Spf 8000 + 6000
2 lfp banks 280ah
Both units (same system swapped units)
at full charge or cv of 57.6v shut power for short bit (long enough to throw clocks to reset, lights out, etc)
I assume it is the transfer time when shutting/ throttling array down to meet the load in home from the full charging/ load. What worries me is the units internal hardware switching the 6600w and then 3300w ish respectively per unit.
Have also noted fault 03 flash but not register on peak during the charge completion stating Bat HV.
Battery , DC bus , and solar input voltage are closely related when Battery gets full.
I would pay close attention to all 3, at the time of the issue. How close are the VOC of the panels to the SCC?

Battery , DC bus , and solar input voltage are closely related when Battery gets full.
I would pay close attention to all 3, at the time of the issue. How close are the VOC of the panels to the SCC?
Minus 20. Hawaii avg temp @ 72L 85H °F.
Sorry for the late response and thank you.
3s3p to mndisco6 per mppt (x2)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230612-162106_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230612-162106_Gallery.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 2
Had Right hand fet failure, below transformers, mid unit vertical row.
Magic smoke, etc.

You might try reducing charging voltage to 57v. And see if the issue improves.

Just my 2 cents:
I see you are using USE (not US2), so your float voltage is actually maintained by the inverter. 55v float will degrade (by overcharging) your LFP. I float at 54.0 and that is 99% charge. I'm also told that most telecom backups use 54.0 and it works good.

Back