diy solar

diy solar

Can MPPT controller adjust to use voltage higher than panel MPP?

CJLDAD

Let's talk about MPPT...

You have a panel that is spec'd out as below..
  • Max Power Output(W): 210W
  • Voltage MPP Vmp(V): 16.77V
  • Current MPP Imp(A): 12.48A
  • Voltage Open Circuit Voc(V): 19.83V
  • Short Circuit Current Isc(A): 13.09A

You put it in a 6s2p configuration..
Your "solar generator" has a limits of 1600w, 11-150v, 15a..
Will a MPPT controller adjust the voltage above the MPP rating on the panels?
Meaning to get 1600w at 15a you would need the voltage to be 106.67..
That string MPP would be 100.62v...

Hopefully that makes sense...
Thanks!

if the panels are lightly loaded, panel voltage will climb above MPP. You have 12A panels in parallel which could produce 24A. I would imagine that the controller input would probably be much above the 107 predicted. It won't magically stop at 1600.

Ok, great.. That's what I was thinking...
What do you mean by "it won't magically stop at 1600?"
The solar input is limited to 1600w on the solar generator....

Maximum output voltage for most MPPT will be the panel input voltage. There is no voltage boost function for most MPPT controllers.
If the panels are operated much above Vmp, the panels will produce lower than potential wattage.
I believe some MPPT controllers require about 5 volts above battery voltage to even start.

Maximum wattage is probably a nominal rating. Usually the MPPT controller will limit the amps. Then amps x volts = wattage.

Maximum output voltage for most MPPT will be the panel input voltage. There is no voltage boost function for most MPPT controllers.
If the panels are operated much above Vmp, the panels will produce lower than potential wattage.
I believe some MPPT controllers require about 5 volts above battery voltage to even start.

Maximum wattage is probably a nominal rating. Usually the MPPT controller will limit the amps. Then amps x volts = wattage.
So I'm not asking about a boost.. The panel will put out 118.98v at their rated Voc.. The panel at MPP is 16.77v and 12.48A.. If you aren't pulling 12.48A the voltage should increase... It would between the MPP and Voc Voltage of the panels..

So I'm not asking about a boost.. The panel will put out 118.98v at their rated Voc.. The panel at MPP is 16.77v and 12.48A.. If you aren't pulling 12.48A the voltage should increase... It would between the MPP and Voc Voltage of the panels..
Yes

There are two strings and each string can produce 7.5A out of the twelve. Look at plot of the solar panel power vs amps and voltage. You will find two voltages that can produce 7.5A. One would expect that a charge controller would start at open circuit voltage and work down. But, many charge controller programs are crap and it could lock into the lower in some situations.

This gives me an opportunity to push PV diversion as a function of panel voltage. While your charge controller is twiddling thumbs, my PV diversion control is heating water for FREE using all the excess current.

Controller specifications are only a general guideline. It may reduce current with temperature of electronics or state of charge of the battery as well as other conditions. Some may even use the max current of the panels as a protection (like a fuse) to the electronics.

Back