diy solar

diy solar

Can Shunt Be Shared?

Bob B

Emperor Of Solar
Can more than one device can be attached to a single shunt .... For instance, I have a Chargery BMS8T and am currently using their 300A Shunt, but am considering adding some Victron equipment to my system and maybe a Victron monitor. I am thinking the Chargery and the Victron monitors would both have high impedance inputs ... the chargery can be calibrated to other shunts ... the shunt is just providing a millivolt output ... so.

Can the Chargery be connected to the same Victron shunt as the Victron?

Whatever impedance the input, it won't be anywhere near as low as a battery shunt.
Voltage seen by multiple customers should be no problem.

But, do those units calibrate the shunt? Reading the manual of my Sunny Island, it does. It measures its own current while reading voltage across the shunt. During that period, if any other devices drew current, its calibration would be incorrect.

If you determine that yours don't auto-calibrate, or do it just once and you can make sure they're the only one on line, ought to be OK.

The Chargery has a calibration procedure that will work as long as you know the actual current thru the shunt.

It calibrates charge and discharge current independently .... If only using a charge source, the leads can be reversed to simulate a discharge current.

diy solar

diy solar
Back