diy solar

diy solar

Can someone check my 400w Setup?

I am certainly no expert on this topic but here's my tuppence worth.

With solar systems you are often dealing primarily with low voltage DC, and, especially with inverters, a lot of it.
  1. Large current circuit breakers can be very expensive compared to fuses.
  2. Inductive loads can cause high surge currents. Circuit breakers are often very quick to act, whereas fuses rely on heating effect which 'ride out' such surges.
  3. Peak operating current in an AC circuit (i.e. where circuit breakers are more common) happens 120 times per second (in the US), the rest of the time the current is lower, and some of the time there is no current flowing at all. Breaking an AC connection is easier on the contacts than with DC which experiences the full operating current all of the time.
That said, there are circuit breakers designed for DC systems (with, for example, arc suppression etc) so there's nothing stopping you using them.

Edit: Corrected typo.

I am certainly no expert on this topic but here's my tuppence worth.

With solar systems you are often dealing primarily with low voltage DC, and, especially with inverters, a lot of it.
  1. Large current circuit breakers can be very expensive compared to fuses.
  2. Inductive loads can cause high surge currents. Circuit breakers are often very quick to act, whereas fuses rely on heating effect which 'ride out' such surges.
  3. Peak operating current in an AC circuit (i.e. where circuit breakers are more common) happens 120 times per second (in the US), the rest of the time the current is lower, and some of the time there is no current flowing at all. Breaking an AC connection is easier on the contacts than with DC which experiences the full operating current all of the time.
That said, there are circuit breakers designed for DC systems (with, for example, arc suppression etc) so there's nothing stopping you using them.

Edit: Corrected typo.
Your input is certainly worth more than a tuppence. It is not only educational but much appreciated. I'm weighing the option to use this style of circuit breaker to be used between the battery and the charge controller/inverter instead of fuses. It is one of the recommended parts from Will's website but I don't know if he has gone into the pros and cons in one of his videos. The cost isn't too exorbitant ranging from $24 (30 amps) to $32 (250 amps). There are other brands that aren't the waterproof version that can be had for about $10 less so they are not much more costly than fuses. I do plan on using my solar system to power an inductive load (i.e. a 12,000 BTU air conditioner that draws 9.2 Amps/115 Volts continuous). The startup surge current is a concern as I don't want it to trip the circuit breaker. Anyone have experience with this style of circuit breaker relative to inductive loads? I think these breakers are widely used in the auto audio sector.

Your input is certainly worth more than a tuppence. It is not only educational but much appreciated. I'm weighing the option to use this style of circuit breaker to be used between the battery and the charge controller/inverter instead of fuses. It is one of the recommended parts from Will's website but I don't know if he has gone into the pros and cons in one of his videos. The cost isn't too exorbitant ranging from $24 (30 amps) to $32 (250 amps). There are other brands that aren't the waterproof version that can be had for about $10 less so they are not much more costly than fuses. I do plan on using my solar system to power an inductive load (i.e. a 12,000 BTU air conditioner that draws 9.2 Amps/115 Volts continuous). The startup surge current is a concern as I don't want it to trip the circuit breaker. Anyone have experience with this style of circuit breaker relative to inductive loads? I think these breakers are widely used in the auto audio sector.
There’s a good discussion about breakers with @Justin Laureltec in the thread listed below (I’ve linked to a post within the thread where he chimes in).

Bob - Wow! That's a great thread full of good info. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. One thing I learned (but not the only one by a long shot) is to buy a name brand circuit breaker instead of a knockoff.

Back