diy solar

diy solar

Can you tin solder a damaged battery terminal?

alchemizt

If you have a slightly melted battery terminal, can you repair it with tin solder?

Attachments

• IMG_20240601_161751.jpg
    IMG_20240601_161751.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 31
What kind of battery? If it's a lead acid you should be fine, LFP you might have a hard time getting the heat small and fast enough to not damage the cells. The trick either way is fast tight heat and then cool it down as fast as you can once it's all flowed into place, like with a damp rag.

What kind of battery? If it's a lead acid you should be fine, LFP you might have a hard time getting the heat small and fast enough to not damage the cells. The trick either way is fast tight heat and then cool it down as fast as you can once it's all flowed into place, like with a damp rag.
It's lead-acid yes. Here is the terminal

Attachments

• IMG_20240601_161751.jpg
    IMG_20240601_161751.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 38
I wouldn't try solder, there is no need. Just sand smooth and flat
I will lose most of the terminal if I do that because you see how the arc melted it at the side and it went down deep. Can I fill that with leaded solder, then sand it down?

I will lose most of the terminal if I do that because you see how the arc melted it at the side and it went down deep. Can I fill that with leaded solder, then sand it down?
You don't have to take it down to full circle again. Just take off the burrs that would prevent a lug from sitting flat on the partially intact flat surface area.

You don't have to take it down to full circle again. Just take off the burrs that would prevent a lug from sitting flat on the partially intact flat surface area.

Exactly right, just make it smooth with divits. Take the jigh points off

diy solar

diy solar
Back