diy solar

diy solar

Cannot Clear a F41 Fault

Mr2Ducks

Schneider 6848.

We had guy hit the AC lines from my inverter to the house with a mini excavator digging a trench for
french drains. It pretty much shredded the lines and there was an obvious short. The inverter shut down.
Opening the breaker panel on the solar equipment, it tripped the A/C-GridTie breaker and also the large DC breaker from the batteries.
With the damage disconnected, via breakers and clipping the damaged wires, pressing the inverters power button, it starts to come alive then
shows a fault F41 and goes no further. The Control Panel says F41 is a APS Under Voltage. I should be able
to clear the fault with the Control Panel since the cause of the fault was removed. When I clear the
fault by pressing ENTER when it says CLEAR FAULTS, it beeps, and seems like the inverter attempts to start, then
shows the F41 again. Then the SCP still shows to have a fault. I can't seem to get past this.

The manual say when you have a F41, fix the reason (sure think we did temporarily), and clear the fault.

Has anybody had a similar experience and know of a solution or a overlooked reason why it won't clear the fault?

Sounds like you blew up the XW's FETS to me.

I'm surprised you didn't have a AC breaker on the output of the inverter for protection to what I assume is a subpanel in the home?

An expert that uses these daily I'm sure will add to this soon

Sounds like you blew up the XW's FETS to me.

I'm surprised you didn't have a AC breaker on the output of the inverter for protection to what I assume is a subpanel in the home?

An expert that uses these daily I'm sure will add to this soon
What is the FETS?

It is breakered on the output. It tripped it.

What is the FETS?

It is breakered on the output. It tripped it.

OK, you didn't mention that in your initial post.

FET's are components inside the inverter that create the AC output. The XW is a very robust inverter but a direct short could cause it to fail.

I would expect the output breaker to be 30 amps for the AC, what was installed?

Tripping the DC breaker is a very bad sign, it would indicate an uncontrolled over-current condition ( FET failure would do this )

I believe APS stands for AC Pass Thru and the unit detects no voltage on the output when commanded, which triggers the fault, in your case even when cleared. The unit is clearly damaged in some way in the Path from AC in to AC out.

An excavator would produce a short on the output that is unlike any device load fault, and as I wrote tripping the DC breaker would only happen in an uncontrolled fault, all of which points to the same conclusion, the metal claw of the excavator was a true dead short.

You didn't mention the AC out breaker size yet, what was installed?

How was the AC run from your barn to home protected? I believe it would fall into the 48" below ground requirement and in conduit, but I don't have the NEC docs in front of me

Can't they be breakered at 60 for lopsided 1 leg loads?

I have mine on a 30 now and was considering moving to a 60 later. But I'm curious what you think.

The XW is rated for maximum imbalance of 75%, so yes you would need more like a 40 amp breaker in that case.

I've been using a Solis 5G HVES the last 3 years which has only 240 out and uses and external auto-transformer ( 100% imbalance rated )

The trip curves on breakers are huge, so I always choose to as close to the maximum load for breaker size to protect the electronics in fault conditions

The XW is rated for maximum imbalance of 75%, so yes you would need more like a 40 amp breaker in that case.

I've been using a Solis 5G HVES the last 3 years which has only 240 out and uses and external auto-transformer ( 100% imbalance rated )

The trip curves on breakers are huge, so I always choose to as close to the maximum load for breaker size to protect the electronics in fault conditions
Thanks I will consider trying a 40 then, if I end up getting the 30 tripping in regular use at all. Still not sure if I will.

Mine had a 60 amp breaker on the AC out. Same amperage as the breaker on the A/C in panel before the inverter.
It was set up by a certified Schneider guy who had done many installs. So I'm pretty confident in his choice of equipment.
The electrician on this job took a look at it today. He is pretty knowledgeable as you would have to be to be in charge
of the entire electrical department maintaining Oklahoma State University. In his opinion, there's no visible damage to the
inverter (had the skins off) and thinks it's not harmed. He feels it's just a glitch getting it to clear the fault. He is good friends with Oklahoma's Schneider Electric guy who overseas this type of equipment and it's servicing in the State and feels he will get the answer from him what it may be
tomorrow. I'll let you know what he says.

Sorry about the very late replay. It was this guy in my case.

Attachments

• Solar6448.jpg
    Solar6448.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 7
Back