diy solar

diy solar

Advise on where to look for a fault code I'm throwing.

Mr2Ducks

I have a pair of Schneider Electric MPPT 80 600 charge controllers. Each controller has 12 panels feeding it 3,880 watts. It's been working fine for about 6 years.
The only time my system has thrown a code is when I had an attempted burglary 3 years ago and they flipped the breakers from the meter pole and it was 4 days later running 100% solar that I realized it. All has been well since then. It's a grid tied system.

Today I notice one of the MPPT's is showing on it's face panel that it's had an "Event". Looking at my SCP it shows that one of them is showing a F74 code. That's a input overvoltage fault. Says that it would of exceeded 600v and needs to be cleared by the SCP according to the manual. Well, I'm not able to clear it manually. It just beeps continuously when I select clear faults, and doesn't clear anything. So I'm thinking the problem still exists ( the sun is shining and it's a clear sky) not allowing it to clear.

So I disconnect via the fuse breaker in the Midnight Solar Combiner boxes at the array. While the other MPPT is controlling away and happy showing 3k-ish on the inverter, the faulted MPPT is showing solid on the charging green light, and the Event light is still red. I try clearing the fault again with the SCP and get the same beeping with no action. The charging light blinks on the working one. So I assume blinking is charging, solid is charging mode, but not charging.

I have voltage from the array in the MS Combiner box at the panels. I didn't have my meter that would tell me how much, I just had one of those red gizmos with the probes for testing AC or DC voltage and it was pegging the 600V line. Don't believe it should of been.

With the fuse back in at the MSC box, I looked at the meter reading in the SCP for each MPPT. The working and non faulted is showing

PV In Power 3134W
PC In 7.2A 433V
DC Out Power 2937W
DC Out 51.5A 57.0V

The Faulted one is showing

PV In Power 37 W
PC In 0.1A 531V
DC Out Power 2W
DC Out 0.1A 56.9V

On the faulted one, how can the voltage be so high (531) and the Watts so low (37)? That probably means something to somebody, but seems
backwards to me.

Nothing visually wrong with any of the connectors at the array. We had a lot of wind a couple days ago, and temps around zero. Wouldn't be the firs time.

It does say in the manual that the F74 if exceeding 600 volts, damage to the charge controller is possible. Then it says to reset the fault. It won't reset.

One more thing. Looking at the fault log, it was showing a handful of them over a day or two. But the other MPPT was showing the same thing, but wasn't
showing a red Event light and it's working fine.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Damaged MPPT? Bad Panel? Loose Connection?

Have you ever calculated the cold-temperature adjusted array Voc? Could it be that a cold event exceeded 600V?

Does the Schneider web interface let you graph PV voltage? I'm wondering if you're in the Midwest in this storm if the panel output went high than it ever has before due to a combo of cold weather and wind-chill.

Does the Schneider web interface let you graph PV voltage? I'm wondering if you're in the Midwest in this storm if the panel output went high than it ever has before due to a combo of cold weather and wind-chill.
Cold weather is what I was thinking too. The other thing that could happen is a cloud edge effect event if there was a partially cloudy day.

The readings do make sense. The PV panels do not put out any power at maximum voltage. They produce no power hence the 531 volts with no power. The Charge controller finds the ideal voltage which is less that the 531 volts which produces the maximum power. It appears that you have exceeded the maximum voltage of 600 volts and have possibly damaged the charge controller since it does not reset.

how can the voltage be so high (531) and the Watts so low (37)?
That can happen if the charge controller is only letting a fraction of an amp in. Watts=Voltage * Amps

37W = 531V x A
A = 37W/531V = .07A

This tells me that either the controller is broken and can't let current through or there is some reason for it to think it shouldn't let current through.

I was skimming the manual and found this:
Important: Any configuration (change in settings) made when the Solar Charge
Controller is in Operating mode will not be saved unless the charge controller is put
into Standby and then back to Operating mode.
Is it possible that you have to go to standby and back to operating mode after clearing the fault?

This is from the manual but does not tell us anything you have not already said.
1671934423873.png

My guess is the unit was damaged due to cold temp Voc rise.

One more thing. Looking at the fault log, it was showing a handful of them over a day or two. But the other MPPT was showing the same thing, but wasn't
showing a red Event light and it's working fine.
With both of them detecting over-voltage events..... it is reasonable to say that over-voltage events were happening. Each time one happens, it is a bit of Russian Roulette on whether the controller will survive or not.

I am not sure if it is feasible, but I would advise disconnecting your other controller from the PV till you get this a bit better understood.

As I said in post #2, it is important that the cold temp Voc be calculated for the array.

Have you ever calculated the cold-temperature adjusted array Voc? Could it be that a cold event exceeded 600V?

I had a Schneider Electric certified guy pick all of my equipment. I just did the install and he looked the wiring over and did the initial
settings. I've never considered or knew cold temps would make a difference in production.

When I did the calculation I came up with 637 volts. So yes, I was exceeding 600.

What can I do to prevent this? Do I put a tarp over 1 or 2 panels on each pair of 12 when I know the temp is getting in that danger zone?

Drop down to 11 in series would be the most fool proof option.
Covering a couple panels would be an option if you want to actively monitor temperature.

When I did the calculation I came up with 637 volts. So yes, I was exceeding 600.
So sorry to hear that. But at least now you know. I would disconnect the PV on the working controller till the weather is warmer.

What can I do to prevent this? Do I put a tarp over 1 or 2 panels on each pair of 12 when I know the temp is getting in that danger zone?
That would prevent the over-voltage but cut your production to almost nothing.

I think I will reconfigure my Array cables to 11 panels per controller. The two panels will sit there as spares. I could connect them in the summer and disconnect them in the winter. That wouldn't be a big deal if I remembered to do it.

So I purchased another MPPT 80-600 which I plan to swap out with the one that has the fault tomorrow. I want to make sure I cover all the safety
issues. I plan to...

1. Flip the fuse breakers in the combiner boxes at the Array.
2. Flip the Array breakers in the Power Distribution Panel
3. Flip the two big tied together breakers to BYPASS in the Power Distribution Panel
4. Turn off the XW6848 inverter.
5. Remove the appropriate battery terminals to severe connections on the two banks of 8 in parallel.
6. Probe leads in bad MPPT to insure no power.
7. Swap out MPPT.
8. Copy control setting from still good MPPT to new MPPT with the SCP.
9. Reconnect batteries, turn on breakers etc...

Is there anything I'm missing here?

Back