diy solar

diy solar

Cell capacity tester for sale - SOLD!

Horsefly

Solar Wizard
SORRY, THIS ITEM IS SOLD!

This little cell capacity tester works pretty well. I would keep it, but bought a way over-priced better tester. :whistle:

I purchased it here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001458325206.html

It connects to a cell (or - I guess - a full battery pack, but I haven't tried that) measures the Ah capacity of that cell. Simple as that. This one is like many of the other similar testers, but it has a few features that many don't: (1) It's got a cool color display, rather than the boring green display, (2) It has a Bluetooth interface, so you can monitor from you phone (app download is included), (3) it has a USB PC interface, so you can monitor / log the cell discharge on you laptop (download PC app is included), and (4) it has a little adaptor thing to allow you to measure stuff associated with power supplies (I never used any of this, so can't vouch for how it works).

I'm including the device itself, it's power supply, the user manual (useful only to see how to program it, the adaptor to measure power supplies, the QR code to get the apps and softcopy of the manual, and my much improved (over what they sent) cables to connect to your cell. These are all shown in the attached photo. I've also included a couple of attached photos of it during a capacity test, and at the conclusion.

One note: It measures the voltage of the cell about 60mV high. This is of no consequence for LiFePO4 cells. Since there is essentially no energy left in the cell between 2.5V and 2.6V, I just set the cutoff to 2.6V, and I know the measurement is good. It works great!

On Aliexpress it's now $47 and change (I think I paid over $50 for it), but... I'm not looking to make any money. I just would rather my friends here on the board benefit from it rather than me tossing it in the trash! I'm looking for $25 plus UPS ground shipping costs, which shouldn't be much. Give me an offer, and I'll consider it!

Send me a PM if interested. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20210812_065200078.jpg
    IMG_20210812_065200078.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210812_075927182.jpg
    IMG_20210812_075927182.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210818_193204544.jpg
    IMG_20210818_193204544.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
SORRY, THIS ITEM IS SOLD!

This little cell capacity tester works pretty well. I would keep it, but bought a way over-priced better tester. :whistle:

I purchased it here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001458325206.html

It connects to a cell (or - I guess - a full battery pack, but I haven't tried that) measures the Ah capacity of that cell. Simple as that. This one is like many of the other similar testers, but it has a few features that many don't: (1) It's got a cool color display, rather than the boring green display, (2) It has a Bluetooth interface, so you can monitor from you phone (app download is included), (3) it has a USB PC interface, so you can monitor / log the cell discharge on you laptop (download PC app is included), and (4) it has a little adaptor thing to allow you to measure stuff associated with power supplies (I never used any of this, so can't vouch for how it works).

I'm including the device itself, it's power supply, the user manual (useful only to see how to program it, the adaptor to measure power supplies, the QR code to get the apps and softcopy of the manual, and my much improved (over what they sent) cables to connect to your cell. These are all shown in the attached photo. I've also included a couple of attached photos of it during a capacity test, and at the conclusion.

One note: It measures the voltage of the cell about 60mV high. This is of no consequence for LiFePO4 cells. Since there is essentially no energy left in the cell between 2.5V and 2.6V, I just set the cutoff to 2.6V, and I know the measurement is good. It works great!

On Aliexpress it's now $47 and change (I think I paid over $50 for it), but... I'm not looking to make any money. I just would rather my friends here on the board benefit from it rather than me tossing it in the trash! I'm looking for $25 plus UPS ground shipping costs, which shouldn't be much. Give me an offer, and I'll consider it!

Send me a PM if interested. Thanks!
Did you use the app at all or was it not needed? Was it difficult to use or intuitive? I just ordered the same 180w Color version and plan on using it next week when it arrives.

I originally purchased the older 150w version with only 2 testing wires. Because it tested the voltage on the same wires it took the load, the voltage displayed on the capacity tester was artificially too low, and triggered the 2.6v cutoff. When I used my voltmeter on the cell itself, I saw it was 3.1v... such a huge difference. So it's good to see that yours was only 0.06v high instead of mine which was 0.5v too low.

Did you use the app at all or was it not needed? Was it difficult to use or intuitive? I just ordered the same 180w Color version and plan on using it next week when it arrives.

I originally purchased the older 150w version with only 2 testing wires. Because it tested the voltage on the same wires it took the load, the voltage displayed on the capacity tester was artificially too low, and triggered the 2.6v cutoff. When I used my voltmeter on the cell itself, I saw it was 3.1v... such a huge difference. So it's good to see that yours was only 0.06v high instead of mine which was 0.5v too low.
I did bring the app up and verified it was working, and also brought up the Windows PC app. Both seem to be OK but not really needed.

Yes any of the testers that use the same leads for voltage testing as well as discharging will not work well. They shouldn't even be sold. Unfortunately, this little baby came with four leads that were all (I think) maybe 14 AWG, alligator clips on the ends, and only about 7 inches long!!! Pretty worthless, although it at least used all four leads. I built new leads, using 18 AWG for the voltage sense, and 12 AWG for the discharge, with both a couple of feet long, with good ring terminals instead of the alligator clips.

Yours reading 0.5V low was almost entirely due to the voltage drops on the two leads. You really need separate voltage sense lines that don't experience the voltage drop due to the current you are discharging.

Anyway, you will be happy with the color version with 4 wires, but do yourself a favor and replace the wires. Once you have it up and working, do check the voltage on the display with a good DMM, and adjust your shutdown/cutoff voltage accordingly.

I did bring the app up and verified it was working, and also brought up the Windows PC app. Both seem to be OK but not really needed.

Yes any of the testers that use the same leads for voltage testing as well as discharging will not work well. They shouldn't even be sold. Unfortunately, this little baby came with four leads that were all (I think) maybe 14 AWG, alligator clips on the ends, and only about 7 inches long!!! Pretty worthless, although it at least used all four leads. I built new leads, using 18 AWG for the voltage sense, and 12 AWG for the discharge, with both a couple of feet long, with good ring terminals instead of the alligator clips.

Yours reading 0.5V low was almost entirely due to the voltage drops on the two leads. You really need separate voltage sense lines that don't experience the voltage drop due to the current you are discharging.

Anyway, you will be happy with the color version with 4 wires, but do yourself a favor and replace the wires. Once you have it up and working, do check the voltage on the display with a good DMM, and adjust your shutdown/cutoff voltage accordingly.
Yup! I made my own jumpers for the load with 10 gauge wire and ring terminals.

Back