diy solar

diy solar

Makerhawk Capacity tester and thermistor

rkaneknight

I am planning to use the MakerHawk capacity tester that was shown on a youtube video. I was directed to this forum by the video. I am going to use it to test batteries that have a T pin, which I believe is a thermistor. Do you recommend any product that can monitor this temperature as well as test the capacity? I'd really prefer not to have a fire in my lab while doing these load/capacity tests. Maybe there is a solution using this tester and some sort of shutoff that can be triggered by rising battery temperature?

I am planning to use the MakerHawk capacity tester
Which model, the 2 wire or 4 wire? I was very disappointed in the 2 wire version and very happy with the 4 wire.

Do you recommend any product that can monitor this temperature as well as test the capacity?
My capacity tester only discharges at 30A and I have never noticed ANY warming. Some of my wiring harnesses aren't the best and I can feel some warmth if its cold in the garage.
I was cautious about leaving a discharge (on a single cell) at first but now have not worries at all about running a full discharge (down to 2.8V) while i am away.

Which batteries are you talking about? Or cells?

Which model, the 2 wire or 4 wire? I was very disappointed in the 2 wire version and very happy with the 4 wire.

My capacity tester only discharges at 30A and I have never noticed ANY warming. Some of my wiring harnesses aren't the best and I can feel some warmth if its cold in the garage.
I was cautious about leaving a discharge (on a single cell) at first but now have not worries at all about running a full discharge (down to 2.8V) while i am away.

Which batteries are you talking about? Or cells?
They are B11194 batteries. I'm working on a solution to get the Current used during load in their current application before I make a decision on what capacity tester to get. I'll look for the 4 wire version of that unit.

before I make a decision on what capacity tester to get.
I had a MakerHawk (mentioned in OP) that was 2 wire. I was terminating discharge based on voltage and the voltage sag varied between cells and i could not get a good consistent discharge measurement.
I bought this August and have done over a dozen 300Ah (3.2V cell) discharges.

The 2 extra voltage sense wires seem to reduce the impact of voltage sag as measured over the main discharge wires. There are quite a few different connectors to connect to quite a few different batteries and voltages. I've only used the 4 main terminals.

My only disappointment is that there isn't an easy way to harvest the discharged power. There is a way to use an external load but i do not have the means to harvest a constant current and still charge other cells.

I did a search on those batteries and they look like they are used in medical equipment like defibrillators. Are you planning a different use or trying to evaluate their condition? (just out of curiosity, 11.1V li-ion is not something i am familiar with)

I have a pile of batteries that I have been tasked with evaluating their condition.
I appreciate the quick and helpful responses. I'm glad I found this page. I have several solar wireless projects that would work well with solar solutions that I have in mind and I'll be searching here to learn more.

Back