diy solar

diy solar

Cerbo GX distance to GX Touch device

Horsefly

Solar Wizard
I'm helping a guy who's cabin is near ours to design and set up solar. I've got him convinced to go all-in with Victron. I'm now working on the detailed parts list so he can start buying stuff. He wants to put most of the equipment in the crawlspace (ugh), so I'm trying to work with that.

I want to be able to put the GX Touch screen up in main cabin, probably in the equipment room with his water heater, pressure tank, and main breaker panel. It's not clear how far that will be from the Cerbo GX, but it may be as much as 20 feet (maybe even 25). I know I need to get clean USB power to the touch screen, and I'm not worried about it. I also know I can buy 25 foot HDMI extensions, but I'm not clear if the Cerbo GX can handle that distance.

Has anyone successfully used a Victron Cerbo GX 20-25' away from the GX touch? Any other thoughts?

I know someone is going to suggest VRM, but I don't get the impression that this guy even likes to use his cell phone much.

Nor do I (use cellphone much).

The cable is 1.5m, and it is HDMI and USB. Both may need extenders over a certain length (oh, I see I was ninja'd).

I'd consider moving the Cerbo with display away from the rest. Ethernet cabling can go over longer distances (10s of meters).

Besides wifi and bluetooth your friend could also use the network console (PC, notebook) if there is a router in their cabin.

After a month or so my interest in watching the display had waned considerably. It is PV, it just runs :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for that @sunshine_eggo, not sure how I didn't find that thread in my initial search this morning. Sounds like at least one person was able to do something over 12' with just a USB power source close to the touchscreen, like I'm planning to do. Maybe I can talk him into putting the display directly over the equipment, making it closer to 12'.

I'd consider moving the Cerbo with display away from the rest. Ethernet cabling can go over longer distances (10s of meters).

Besides wifi and bluetooth your friend could also use the network console (PC, notebook) if there is a router in their car.
I can probably put the Cerbo closer to the touchscreen, I don't think I want it in the main living space with all the wires going down to the rest of the equipment. Still, it is worth considering.

After a month or so my interest in watching the display had waned considerably. It is PV, it just runs :cool:
I mainly want it to be someplace where he can describe things to me over the phone and I can help him understand / fix things. If it is someplace he doesn't go (or won't go without me pushing hard), there's no point in having the display at all.

My cerbo is 100 ft from my touch50 display. Usb is only for power so I have an outlet near the touch 50 and switched the outlet to a USB plug to plug in directly. As for the HDMI, tried the amplifer with cat cable which didnt work for me. Im sure it can but need the right unit to do it, and adds extra parts, and additional power supply for the boosters.
I tried a 100' HDMI high quality cable( came with built in amplifer) from Amazon, and worked great! 100', 1 cable. Done :)

Savarycabin, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I went to Amazon and they have many 100' HDMI high quality cables with built in amplifier. Would you be so kind and post a link to the cable you purchased.

Thank you, L

Back