diy solar

diy solar

Cerbo GX Tank 140

corn18

Village Idiot
I was under my 5er yesterday pulling off the corroplast to check out the workmanship of the underside. Turns out they did a nice job. With the corroplast off, I had easy access to my tanks and started thinking about upgrading my tank level sensors. Found the Cerbo GX Tank 140 and bought it. Also bought four ultrasonic sensors from Safiery. According to reports, this is an easy integration of tank levels into the Cerbo world. We'll see when it all gets here, but it sure will be nice to have a real set of tank level sensors vs. the idiot lights. Just thought the Blue mist crowd might be interested.

BPP920140100_GX%20Tank%20140%20(front).png

https://www.safiery.com/ultrasonic-tank-level-bottom-sensor-no-penetration

STLU01.jpg

I'm very interested in your results. The fresh/gray/black levels are inaccurate guesses on my trailer. The fuel tank levels are definitely wrong and that's where I would start.

Does the sensor have a learning process where you empty the tank and take a reading and then fill the tank and take a reading? I'm not familiar with how these work, so lots of questions.

I'm very interested in your results. The fresh/gray/black levels are inaccurate guesses on my trailer. The fuel tank levels are definitely wrong and that's where I would start.

Does the sensor have a learning process where you empty the tank and take a reading and then fill the tank and take a reading? I'm not familiar with how these work, so lots of questions.
As far as I can tell, you fill the tank up and read the voltage on the GX and then set that as the max voltage for that sensor. Then the GX just applies a linear line for 0% voltage to 100% voltage.

Here's a link to the install manual:

https://university.safiery.com/view/733081500/10/

Filling the black and gray tanks, no problem. Non-potable water will do just fine there. Filling the 120 gallon fresh water tank gets expensive. Filling the two fuel tanks, I would need a loan. :rolleyes:

Filling the black and gray tanks, no problem. Non-potable water will do just fine there. Filling the 120 gallon fresh water tank gets expensive. Filling the two fuel tanks, I would need a loan. :rolleyes:
You can use this graph in the instructions to take a guess at how "deep" your tank is where the sensor is placed:

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 11.37.14.png

I got the Safiery sensors in and the Tank 140. Got the sensors installed fairly easy. I used 18/6 irrigation wire and powered 2 sensors / 24V power feed. I got it hooked up to the Tank 140 and got all 4 sensors to blink, so I mounted them with 5 minute epoxy.

Got very frustrated with the Tank 140. Spent a lot of time trying to get it to show up on the Cerbo GX 50 display. Turns out, I needed to update the firmware on the display. Did that and all 4 tanks showed up.

I filled each tank (fresh, galley, grey, black) and calibrated the sensors. Worked great except the fresh tank sensor was a bit wonky. Kept changing readings. Will have to check into that.

So it works and is fairly easy to install if you can access your tanks.

I also found a wonderful treat from the factory install. When I dropped the coroplast from under the galley tank, there was some water on top of the coroplast. Not a lot, but weird. Then it started flowing out of the screw holes that hold the coroplast up. Turns out, the factory put the coroplast seam right under the galley tank and used really long screws to connect the seam. Those really long screws put 3 holes in my galley tank. I guess it was always leaking a little, but with the screw out, it leaked a lot. Now I need to figure out how to patch the screw holes. Idiots.

I installed my 140 & Safiery ultrasound and pressure (fresh water) a few months ago. Great thus far. No complaints and pretty much plug and play. Well worth the effort and now know my tank usage vs. random indication.

Back