diy solar

diy solar

Charge controller help needed

garyr

Hello,
I am a full service mechanic for many years but never paid much attention to electric until this build
so I m a novice here Please be gentle as I already have a sore butt.
The charge controller went dead overnight.
scenario:
2006 sprinter van factory conversion
16cell 3.3 v =12v 250ah hr lithium iron battery
4s bms with the charge controller neg running through bms to the battery.
epever tracer 40 amp charge controller used solely for charging
Charge controller is 1.5 years old BUT just installed 2 months ago.
and the remote mt-50 meter is in the front of the van.
2 150 watt flexible solar panels mounted flat on a hinged rooftop bracket
Pos fused to controller
3000w Pure sine wave inverter fused with a battery protector and fused
PV>>>Charge controller>>>through BMS to battery>>>Battery to house load
Fired her up 2 months ago and all has been fine. Set up controller parameters per
a suggestion on here I think.
System has been fine for the 2 months, Mainly only the 12v mini fridge is continually powered on
with a couple short trips using lights and 12v tv etc. and a powered fold down bed. The meter generally
shows the battery at from 13,3v to 13,9 It has never gotten to the 14.3 that online says it should. This last weekend it did go down to 12.9v.
The remote meter generally shows the pv input at around 18v but only 4.3 to 7 amps. I look at it a few times a day.
With nothing out of the ordinary This morning the remote meter was dead and the house 12v wasn't functioning.
The handheld voltmeter showed the battery at 11.9 volts. I do not know how to check amps
PV input to the battery was 18.67v . Output to the battery from charge controller reads 0.73 volts
??????????????
Any Ideas
Regards Gary

Dead panels? What are the panel volts now? Flexible panels, unless very high quality, have short service life.

Mike

Circuit breakers everything is tight

Panels putting our 18.6 volts

Dead panels? What are the panel volts now? Flexible panels, unless very high quality, have short service life.

Mike
18.6 volts from panels to controller

is there a fuse inside the controller??

Do you have a digital meter that can measure the amps?
You generally move the red lead to the "other" port on your meter and set the dial to amps.

Be sure that your meter's fused amp rating (it should say on the faceplate or somewhere) is higher than you are expecting your panel to output. If your panels are in series, then that would likely exceed your meters capabilities (10 amps is the max all my meters can handle). So you'd need to test your panels individually.

Having one panel go bad, if all in series can drag down the entire string.

Back