diy solar

diy solar

charging from car outlet?

RiverOfRationality

I'd like to be able to charge my battery (12v LiPO4) from the standard 12v outlet in my car on cloudy days. What kind of equipment do I need to do this safely? I'd like to avoid running new wires directly to the car's battery, as I think the 150w that comes out of the outlet should be adequate.

I charge my power station's all the time this way.
As long as the voltages aren't too far off, it should work.

How far is too far? I don't have a power station, just a battery, and I don't know what kind of equipment power stations include to do this.

How far is too far? I don't have a power station, just a battery, and I don't know what kind of equipment power stations include to do this.
Power stations have their own dedicated battery chargers. You will need a battery charger with a dedicated 12v input, and an output that matches your battery's charge chemistry

It may depend on the weather.
Freezing, your automotive regulator ought to raise charge voltage.
3.5V to 3.65V per cell is reasonable for LiFePO4, 14V to 14.6V for a "12V" battery.

"Most voltage regulators are calibrated to output between 13.5 and 15.5 charging volts on a fully charged battery at normal temperature with no accessories or lights on."

Here's a link for a particular Trojan FLA that calls for 2.45V per cell (14.7V for 12V battery) at 25 degrees C. goes up when colder. So it is already a but above what you want. Maybe we can count on BMS to disconnect when charged. Maybe it would be nice to have a low drop out linear regulator.

charge my battery (12v LiPO4) from the standard 12v outlet in my car on cloudy days
The outlet is good for around 12 amps, even then there is a chance of overheating. You will need some sort of charger with current limiting to ensure the current taken from the vehicle is limited to a safe value.
What is the capacity of your battery?
I suggest you seriously consider connecting a dc to dc charger to the vehicle battery. For modest charging current a Victron Orion 12 12 18 would be suitable. This gives a correct charge profile for lithium and will auto start charging when the engine is running an power down when the engine stops.

An alternative is to use a dc to dc converter set to a safe output voltage, say 14.0 volts, and manually disconnect once the battery is charger. The low power Victron unit may just operate from the accessory socket, 12 12 9

As I pointed out earlier the vehicle sockets are not designed for continious high power use and you may get local overheating and perhap damage.

Mike

I'd like to be able to charge my battery (12v LiPO4) from the standard 12v outlet in my car on cloudy days. What kind of equipment do I need to do this safely? I'd like to avoid running new wires directly to the car's battery, as I think the 150w that comes out of the outlet should be adequate.
How do you charge the battery now?

The battery is 40 Ah.

Here's a crazy idea. What would happen if I took a 5 or 10 A solar mppt charger, and connected the car's 12v outlet to the mppt charger's input? A solar charger is designed to be DC to DC, to safely charge a LiPO4 battery, and the charger has no way of knowing if the power it's getting comes from a solar panel or an outlet, does it?

Back